Answers in Retirement Plans

Your personal retirement plans will have to be your primary method of funding your retirement and you should consider all the tools at your disposal to plan for and achieve your retirement goals.
1 vote
Richard Friend Level 4
Peter, at the risk of confusing you, I would like to offer some clarification. First, definitions: Roth plans are "pay me now". You get no initial tax benefit- you pay the tax on the income- but all the growth, and qualified withdrawals, will be tax-free. ...(more)
0 votes
Have you tried entering your former employer's name in the Retirement Plan Search window at the top of the Brightscope.com homepage?
2 votes
Tunc Tanin Level 8
You don't have much rights. Bankruptcy court has its own rules and procedures and sometimes they are unfair. The longest one I have seen is a little over 2 years so 6 to 12 months is not that unusual. Congress would have to change the law, and regardless ...(more)
1 vote
Here's a link to the Dept. of Labor's final rules on blackout periods: http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/regs/fedreg/final/2003001430.htm As you'll note, they are required to tell you what the length of the blackout period is, but the rule does not specify a maximum ...(more)
0 votes
Tunc Tanin Level 8
I would add this. Don't roll over your Roth 401k into a Roth IRA you already have open. When you do that 5 year period starts all over. I usually recommend a Roth IRA over a ROTH 401k because the ROTH 401k is subject to RMD's where as Roth IRA is not. ...(more)
0 votes
Thomas Larsen Level 3
Mukunda, Consider getting started with your employer-sponsored 401(K) retirement plan now. I recommend an initial 6% contribution rate (typically the rate required to get matching contributions). This way, you will already have familiarity with the plan ...(more)
1 vote
The website is talking about a "distribution"...in IRA terms that means you take the money out from under the protection of IRA status...i.e. get a check. A rollover (or direct transfer) from one designated IRA to another is not a distribution so what ...(more)
1 vote
http://www.brightscope.com/401k-rating/118373/Kennametal-Inc/120163/Kennametal-Thrift-Plus-Plan/ Here is a link to information about your company's plan. You can also contact your HR department and they will be able to tell you. (866) 783-4688
1 vote
As of 3/7/2000, Simione Central holdings Inc. was acquired by MCS Inc. in a reverse merger transaction. Previously, Simione Central Holdings, Inc. provided systems and services designed to help home health care providers. These software solutions were ...(more)
1 vote
Hello Melodie! I'm assuming the notice you received from the SSA was a Notice of Potential Private Pension Benefit Information. Individuals will receive this form if they recently filed for Social Security or Medicare benefits. Keep in mind, that notice ...(more)
1 vote
Thomas Larsen Level 3
Katherine, Costs do matter in investing. New regulations require fee disclosure for employer sponsored 401(k) plans. This disclosure can be found on-line and/or is available through your employer's HR department. Participant fees exceeding 1% are considered ...(more)
0 votes
It is very wise of you to consider your savings options. I meet with too many who have “done the right thing” and saved to their 401(k), and not only paid high fees, but also had reduced control and diversification options. Consider if you may be able ...(more)
1 vote
Katherine, Good question. It is important to consider fees when you invest, especially at your age. Hopefully you have another 80 years of investing ahead of you. Over time fees can make a big difference. Paying an extra 1% over 20 years can deplete ...(more)
1 vote
Another aspect here is the assumption that the benefits of tax-deferral. There are many scenarios where individuals do not benefit as much as they believe from deferring taxes. One downside of deferring are the conversion of capital gains into ordinary ...(more)
0 votes
I don’t know about this service, but I think before you say someone is the ‘best’ you have to determine ‘best’ at what. You want to start with understanding the philosophy of your investment advisor and if that strategy fits your needs. For example, I ...(more)
  • posts per page