Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  How do I get my 401k from years back at lumber products?

How do I get my 401k from years back at lumber products?

Aug 25, 2014 by Luciano from Odessa, TX in  |  Flag
3 Answers  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
1 vote

If you are still receiving statements on the 401(k), the first place to go would be contact the company that is sending you the statement (Fidelity, Charles Schwab, TD Ameritrade, etc.). If you aren't receiving statements and the company has an HR department, that would be the second place. If it is a small company that does not have an HR department, then I would contact the company and speak with someone there about your situation and they will hopefully be able to let you know who you need to speak with.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Aug 28, 2014 from Kennewick, WA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Brian Kuhn CFP® Level 17

Hi there thanks for reaching out. You need to contact the human resources department of your former employer or the investment provider of the 401(k) plan. Do you still receive statements or know how to contacts these entities?

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 25, 2014 from Fulton, MD

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

These answers are both good. However when you say "get," do you mean take a distribution or have access to the money. Generally speaking if you do want to "get" your money, you will have a couple options. 1 - You can take the money out. In this scenario you will be taxed on the distribution as ordinary income. (if you are under 59.5, there may be a penalty as well). 2 - You can roll the money to an IRA. This is a non-taxable event if done the right way. The money continues to grow tax deferred until you take distributions

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 25, 2014 from Exton, PA

1|600 characters needed characters left