Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I received some paper work about having money in my 401...

I received some paper work about having money in my 401 and want to know how to retrieve it asap i am disabled now?

Oct 10, 2014 by MARIA from Spokane, WA in  |  Flag
4 Answers  |  6 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes
Peter C. Karp Level 20


In order to take a withdrawal from your 401(k) you will need to complete the distribution request forms. First of all, I would contact the HR department at your former employer and find out about your distribution options given your disability. As the other advisor indicated, you may be subject to early withdrawal penalties of 10% if you are younger than 59 ½ and the income would be subject to ordinary income tax. Depending on your disability the early withdrawal penalty may be waved when taking a cash distribution. You could avoid potential penalties and current taxes if you were to roll the money into an IRA (individual retirement account). It would be wise to check with your tax accountant or advisor as well.

Disclosure: The posted information is for informational purposes only. This message does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. All opinions and estimates constitute Karp Capital's judgment as of the date of the report and are subject to change without notice. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, expressed or otherwise, is made to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information contained herein. Securities offered through Infinity Securities (a registered broker-dealer, member FINRA, SIPC). Infinity Securities and Karp Capital Management are not affiliated companies.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 14, 2014 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

There should be a phone number on your statement. Give them a call and they can help you. Otherwise contact the HR department of the company you used to work for.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 10, 2014 from Las Vegas, NV

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Tunc Tanin Level 10

I am sorry to hear about your disability. I hope you get well soon.

If you are under the age 59.5 you will pay income taxes and an additional 10 percent penalty from early 401k withdrawals. IRS will waive the penalty if you are permanently disabled. If you are eligible for SSDI or another private disability insurance, you will generally avoid paying the 10 percent penalty.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 11, 2014 from Somerville, MA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Brian Kuhn CFP® Level 17

Hi there thanks for reaching out. You need to contact the human resources department of your former employer or the investment provider of the 401(k) plan. The contact information for the 401(k) provider can be found on your statements if one of those is available. Feel free to contact me via email to continue the conversation.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 23, 2014 from Fulton, MD

1|600 characters needed characters left