Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  Where can I get information on an old 401K account from...

Where can I get information on an old 401K account from the 90's when I have pretty much NO information?

I was employed with a company in the 1990's, and I just recently realized that I had a 401k with them. The departure was not on good terms. I do not remember who it was with and the company is not being forthcoming with the info. They said the 401k provider has changed, and no one knows who is was with before. I have checked the unclaimed government site and nothing. It was not much, but I wanted to at least know where my money went. Are there any legalities with this for them to tell me? Any help would be great!

Oct 16, 2014 by BILLIE from Winston-Salem, NC in  |  Flag
4 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
1 vote

Billie, you're in the right place. If you can follow up with the name of your company from the '90s, one of these sharp advisors can get very specific for you if needed.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 30, 2015 from Cedar Park, TX

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
John Essigman Level 17

Hi Billie,

Generally speaking, all accounts would be moved from an old 401(k) provider to the new. Therefore, start your search here. Call the H/R or Benefits Administrator and find out who the current carrier is then call that carrier. You may be able to find the 401(k) provider by searching for your company through Brightscope.


You can also check with the US Department of Labor abandoned plan website http://askebsa.dol.gov/AbandonedPlanSearch/ the National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits https://www.unclaimedretirementbenefits.com/ You can also check on http://missingmoney.com/

Good luck with your search

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 18, 2014 from Cleveland, GA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Tunc Tanin Level 10

They may have moved your money to the new 401k provider, left it at the old 401k provider or cashed it out and sent you a check for the proceeds. If the account balance is less than 2500, they dont need your permission to cash out. If the account size is small and you think it may have been cashed out, you can call IRS and if you get lucky they may help you on the phone. When your pension is cashed out, the company is supposed to send notice to IRS. You may find IRS sometimes helpful, sometimes they won't help you. If the company HR is not helpful, I would contact current employees of the company, you should be able to find them using Linkedin. Ask them who their 401k providers is and the current 401k provider should be able to help you track your money.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 19, 2014 from Somerville, MA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Brian Kuhn CFP® Level 17

Hi there thanks for reaching out. You need to contact the human resources department of your former employer or the investment provider of the 401(k) plan. The contact information for the 401(k) provider can be found on your statements if one of those is available. Feel free to contact me via email to continue the conversation.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 23, 2014 from Fulton, MD

1|600 characters needed characters left