Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I would like to check on the status of my 401K plan that...

I would like to check on the status of my 401K plan that I had from my time as an employee with Berg Electric..

I was an Employee from around 2008 to 2009.

Oct 21, 2014 by Matthew in  |  Flag
4 Answers  |  7 Followers
Follow Question
1 vote

Matthew, Last item I would suggest along with the advice you have received is when you speak to the custodian ask them to begin sending you your quarterly statements in the mail. Some vendors have gotten away from doing this over the past few years and it is easy to lose track of the accounts. If you ask they will normally send them to you your residence.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 31, 2014 from Greenville, SC

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote
Joseph Gissy Level 16

I couldn't agree more with Douglas on this one. One of the most important steps to take is to actually get your statements and open them up to see how your portfolio is working out for you. With the quarterly statements you can see how your portfolio has grown over time, what investment choices you are currently in and what other options you may have. Lastly, if you set this up when you were younger and more aggressive with your investment portfolio but found that your risk tolerance has changed over time, it may also be time you update your risk assessment with that plan as well. This way you are not overly aggressive in that plan if you are now wanting to conserve that money, or even the other way around.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Nov 05, 2014 from Woodland Hills, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
John Essigman Level 17

Hi Matthew

Suggest you contact the Bergelectric Human Resources Department or the Benefits Administrator. An alternative is to call the plan administrator directly or if you have an old statement, call the custodian.


1 Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 22, 2014 from Cleveland, GA
Prateek Mehrotra, MBA, CFA®, CAIA®

You could also try to do this online, if you an account already set up. Alternatively, you can create an online account from data from a recent statement, if you have been getting one. Otherwise, follow John's suggestions.

Flag |  Oct 22, 2014 near Appleton, WI

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Brian Kuhn CFP® Level 17

Hi there thanks for reaching out. You need to contact the human resources department of your former employer or the investment provider of the 401(k) plan. The contact information for the 401(k) provider can be found on your statements if one of those is available. Feel free to contact me via email to continue the conversation.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 23, 2014 from Fulton, MD

1|600 characters needed characters left