Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  1099-R for Roth 401k?

1099-R for Roth 401k?

If I do Roth contributions for my 401k, should I expect a 1099-R? I'm not sure what that form is for exactly.

Jan 26, 2012 by Tyler from La Jolla, CA in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
2 votes
Jim Blankenship Level 17

Contributions to your Roth 401(k) will not generate a 1099-R. The 1099-R is generated when you take distributions from a retirement account or pension plan. The main place you'll see evidence of the contributions to a Roth 401(k) account will be in your W2, indicating contributions to a retirement plan (although these won't be excluded from income) and in your account statement. A form 5498 may also be generated for your account(s) indicating inflow and/or outflow of funds for the tax year.

Hope this helps -


Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 27, 2012 from New Berlin, IL

1|600 characters needed characters left
-1 votes

Ask your accountant

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 26, 2012 from Boston, MA

1|600 characters needed characters left