Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I worked with meijer back in 2007 and I need to find out...

I worked with meijer back in 2007 and I need to find out how I would cash in my 401k, and whatever else I put mkney in?

Who do I speak with and get access tk this money

Mar 23, 2015 by Samantha in  |  Flag
3 Answers  |  5 Followers
Follow Question
0 votes
Bryan J Bentley Level 9

If you know who the custodian is of the 401k plan, you can contact them directly and they can provide you with the account balance and can guide you to moving the funds. It is not recommended that you cash in your 401k because you will pay income tax on the amount withdrawn, and you will also pay a 10% penalty if under 59 1/2 years of age, or 55 years of age in some cases.

You can roll the 401k balance into and IRA, which will give you greater control over your assets, and you will not incur income taxes or the early distribution penalty. This is the recommended course of action in most cases. Any advisor on Brightscope should be able to assist you with this, or in many cases, the plan custodian may have an IRA rollover option.

To find out if you put money into something else, such as a pension plan, deferred compensation plan, or some other type of plan, you will want to contact the Human Resources plan at Meijer and they will be able to assist you.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Mar 23, 2015 from Granite Bay, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

Give them a call at 616.453.6711 and ask for the plan administrator, which can be any number of people but if they give you any hesitation then have them transfer you to the Human Resources department. But those areas can be black-holes sometimes. There may also be a name and contact information on the statement as well.

Generally speaking an advisor can also help you with that, if you have a statement you can reach out to one for assistance. Whether it's rolling over the qualified dollars or just confirming details of how to roll them over, that's what we do.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Mar 26, 2015

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Brian Kuhn CFP® Level 17

Thanks for your submitting your question. Brightscope is an aggregator of retirement plan information however does not handle your employer or former employer’s retirement plan specifically. If you still have the contact information of the person who handled anything to do with human resources at the company that would be your first place to start for the information you are looking for. Additionally if you run into further setbacks here is a link to an article I wrote on tracking down a 401(k) http://www.brightscope.com/financial-planning/advice/article/24529/10-Ways-To-Find-Your-Old-401K/ I hope all of this helps. Feel free to reach out directly or contact other advisors who post an answer to your query as I’m sure one of us can help. See tax assistance as well to understand the rules there if you make any transactions on your account.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Dec 17, 2015 from Fulton, MD

1|600 characters needed characters left