Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  How do I find out if my 401k / Profit sharing Plan is...

How do I find out if my 401k / Profit sharing Plan is still active with a previous or former employer.

Apr 08, 2015 by Ann in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
0 votes


You should contact your previous employer's human resource department as soon as possible to inquire about your 401(k) plan benefits. Make sure you have your Social Security number handy to help locate records.

If you worked for a large company and either can't find a contact number or keep getting an automated response recording, try searching the web site GetHuman.com to find contact infomation that will get you through to an actual person. Also, if it's been a long time since you've seen any statements or received any communication, your former employer may have considered any balances you may have accumulated to be abandoned. Not to worry, there are resources for that as well. Begin by navigating your web browser to https://www.unclaimedretirementbenefits.com/ and perform a free search. Presuming you still have a 401(k) balance that's been left behind, you might want to think about rolling it over to an IRA.

I hope this helps.

Mike Reid

Comment   |  Flag   |  Apr 09, 2015

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

Here is another place to look to trace your old 401k and pension plan.Most plans are required to file an annual "Form 5500" with the U.S. Government. You can search these 5500's for the name of your former employer at free websites like www.freeERISA.com. If you can find a Form 5500 on an old plan, it will have contact information.

Good luck.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Apr 23, 2015 from Snyderville, UT

1|600 characters needed characters left