Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  In my divorce decree it states I get half of what he has...

In my divorce decree it states I get half of what he has in his 401 k how do I find out how much he has in it?

Nov 29, 2015 by Colleen in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  2 Followers
Follow Question
1 vote
John Essigman Level 17

Hi Colleen,

If your divorce has been finalized then you may be able to send the 401(k) trustee a copy of the QDRO and request information. Otherwise, it is highly unlikely that the trustee or administrator will share any information with you as it is considered confidential.

Do not delay on the QDRO as it is possible for your former spouse to remarry or request a distribution, which will complicate matters. Contact a fee-only advisor for assistance...

Warmest regards,
John Essigman

Comment   |  Flag   |  Nov 30, 2015 from Cleveland, GA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

The other side would be smart not to make a big deal about this... if you get lawyers involved it will just cost you more out of pocket. This should have been discussed int he final terms of your divorce and a QDRO most likely will be needed by the institution that holds the 401k money.

eric@titanmanagers.com www.titanmanagers.com

Comment   |  Flag   |  Dec 01, 2015

1|600 characters needed characters left