Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  How to protect my assets in the process of getting a...

How to protect my assets in the process of getting a divorce?

My husband and I have completely separate bank accounts since day one we got married. If I bought the house after I got married with my own money. The deed is only under my name and mortgage is also only under my name. Can I sell my property to my mom or brother and rent it back from her/him, so I can avoid giving half of the house to my husband? He has never paid a dime on the mortgage.

Dec 26, 2015 by Rose in  |  Flag
1 Answer  |  1 Follower
Follow Question
0 votes

Rose, it is best you seek legal counsel from a licensed attorney in your state. Each state has different rules on the division of assets, especially when it comes to real estate. Considering the investment you have made in the home, hiring and attorney to protect it would be a reasonable and justifiable expense.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 05, 2016 from McLean, VA

1|600 characters needed characters left