Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I have a 401K through Things Remembered. I no longer work...

I have a 401K through Things Remembered. I no longer work with them. How do I go about getting my money out of my 401K ?

Who do I contact and etc . ?

Jan 17, 2016 by Samantha in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
3 votes
Peter C. Karp Level 20

Hi Samantha

The first thing you will need to do is contact your former employer’s HR department or look on your most recent statement and contact the organization that provides you with quarterly statements for your 401(k) plan to obtain the necessary distribution paperwork. You have a few options available to you when you terminate employment and have a 401(k) plan:

1) if you have more than $5,000 in your account you can leave it in the plan at Things Remembered and continue to have access to make investment changes. You just can’t contribute more into that account;

2) you can transfer that 401(k) account to your new employer’s 401(k) if the plan allows without incurring any tax consequences or early withdrawal penalties;

3) you can roll the money into an IRA account without any tax consequences or early withdrawal penalties: or

4) you can take a cash distribution, pay the taxes as ordinary income and if younger than 59 ½ years old would be subject to a 10% early withdrawal penalty.

It may be prudent to check with your tax consultant to determine the best option for you.

Disclosure: The posted information is for informational purposes only. This message does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. All opinions and estimates constitute Karp Capital's judgment as of the date of the report and are subject to change without notice. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, expressed or otherwise, is made to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information contained herein. Securities offered through Infinity Securities (a registered broker-dealer, member FINRA, SIPC). Infinity Securities and Karp Capital Management are not affiliated companies.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 20, 2016 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

there should be a phone # on a statement that you can call to request a distribution or contact HR at your former employer

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 17, 2016 from Manhattan, NY

1|600 characters needed characters left