Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  Can I view my 401(k) statement online?

Can I view my 401(k) statement online?

I have moved several times and have not received a statement in a long time. Can I access one online?

Apr 18, 2012 by Christine from Jamul, CA in  |  Flag
5 Answers  |  13 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes

You should just look on an old statement for the website or (800) number to call. You can also contact your H/R person at the company.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 07, 2012 from Southgate, MI

1|600 characters needed characters left
3 votes
Joshua R. Dunham Level 11

To determine your 401K balance, allocation, and contribution history, you should first contact your Human Resources Department. They will most likely direct you to an online portal for your Plan Sponsor. If you have not accessed this information before, you may need to register for this access. Upon receiving a log-in and Password, you should be able to track your 401K information as often as you like.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 31, 2012 from Dallas, TX

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes

Hi Christine,

It is very likely you can. You will need to go to the website for the company that handled the investments for your 401(k) plan (e.g. Fidelity, Nationwide, etc.). If you cannot easily find a link to get started you can call their customer service line (generally toll free).

You don't say whether you are still with the employer (I get the sense you may not be). If you don't remember which company managed your employer's plan or if you called and learned they no longer manage it, employer's HR department. They can point you to the correct company. It does happen from time to time that employers will change 401(k) providers.

You can also check Bright Scope's 401(k) listings. If the employer has their plan listed you can find contact information there as well.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Apr 18, 2012 from Permanente, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes


This seems to be a very common question. I would contact your previous employer and ask the current plan administrator for the steps involved. They will provide you the website address and a temporary login and password. They should also be able to mail your latest available statement at your request.

The next step, would be to Rollover the amount in the 401k to an IRA (Individual Retirement Account) so that you may have better investment options and control over your future. Also, make sure all beneficiary and contingent beneficiaries are designated the way that you desire.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Apr 19, 2012 from Lititz, PA

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote


In working with clients, we run across this question often. Strangely, enough, I have found that often the simplest solutions work the best.

Generally, you can get a current statement online. If you have forgotten your login information, see if you can find an old statement. Generally, the website is on the statement, as well as a customer service number which would point you in the right direction to getting new login credentials.

Jon Castle http://www.wealthguards.com

1 Comment   |  Flag   |  Apr 20, 2012 from Jacksonville, FL

Need to get a copy of 401k but ex wife wont send it cause i signed it over to her what can i do?

Flag |  Jan 07, 2019

1|600 characters needed characters left