Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  Can i return to work after taking 401K withdrawls at age...

Can i return to work after taking 401K withdrawls at age 55 and continue to withdraw from my 401K ?

2 years ago i retired from a company where i had worked for the past 30 years. I retired in the same year that i turned 55 so i was able to make withdrawls from my 401k with that company without penalty.

Now, they have contacted my with a temporary job offer at a substantial salary for a 6 month period.

I'm afraid that if i take this temporary job it will close the door on my ability to withdraw from my 401K

Any help is greatly appreciated

Nov 01, 2016 by Don in  |  Flag
3 Answers  |  5 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes
Peter C. Karp Level 20


It is great that your former employer has reached out to you with a nice job offer. You indicated that you have been making withdrawals from your 401(k) without penalties since you turned 55. That indicates that your plan offers an in-service withdrawal option. If that is the case, accepting the temporary position should not impact your ability to withdraw. The key factor is what is outlined in the Summary Plan Description (SPD). Your (former) employer should be able to confirm. The salary is irrelevant but the employment status is what impacts the ability to withdraw.

Disclosure: The posted information is for informational purposes only. This message does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. All opinions and estimates constitute Karp Capital's judgment as of the date of the report and are subject to change without notice. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, expressed or otherwise, is made to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information contained herein. Securities offered through Infinity Financial Services (a registered broker-dealer, member FINRA, SIPC). Infinity Financial Services and Karp Capital Management are not affiliated companies.



Comment   |  Flag   |  Nov 18, 2016 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote
Neil Maxwell Level 2

Call your company's plan administrator. Every plan has different intricacies and the only way to be 100% sure is to check with your plan administrator. You could start with your HR department and they should be able to point you in the correct direction. If the new job will be 1099'ed instead of w-2 wages than I would make sure you tell your HR people in case there are different rules. Good luck!

Comment   |  Flag   |  Nov 03, 2016

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote

Hi Don,

Are you going to be contracted through your own company? If so then it shouldn't impact your ability to make withdrawals. I would consider rolling the funds into an IRA and then continuing to take withdrawals as necessary.

Let us know if this helps. You'd be surprised by the number of people with situations like your own.


Comment   |  Flag   |  Nov 08, 2016

1|600 characters needed characters left