Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I have money in my retiremend fund, and i need to get it...

I have money in my retiremend fund, and i need to get it out.?

i havent worked in 13 years and would like to get my money out or transfered to another bank.

Apr 26, 2012 by judy from Lloyd, KY in  |  Flag
4 Answers  |  8 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes


I am assuming while you were working you were contributing to your 401K (retirement fund) at your employer? If my assumption is correct, you will need to contact your previous employer (most likely HR office) or if you receive a statement on the account there should be contact information on the statement. You will want to ask for a 401K distribution request form. On the distribution form there will be a section asking how you would like the distributions to be processed (i.e. lump sum dist to you, transferred to another account, etc.) I would like to make you aware that certain penalties can apply if you do not meet dist. requirements and you could face a tax burden as well. When deciding if you should take a lump sum dist. or "roll" the assets into another retirment account I would highly recommend you talk to your tax professional. I hope the information I provided helped.

1 Comment   |  Flag   |  Apr 26, 2012 from Overland Park, KS

How can I borrow from my 401K

Flag |  Mar 22, 2015

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes

I too am assuming this is a 401k and follow the previous answer. However, you should think of this as two steps - 1) moving the account via a "direct transfer" from your previous employer to an IRA account at a financial institution like a brokerage company, and 2) begin to withdraw the funds from the account to meet you living needs but also to manage the taxes.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 05, 2012 from Western Springs, IL

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote

Dear Judy - there is another question that is similar to yours, which has been answered here: http://www.brightscope.com/financial-planning/advice/question/4737/how-do-i-get-my-money-from-my-401k-plan-since-my-retiring-effective-on-september-28-2012 As noted by other advisors, if your plan is a defined benefit (pension) plan with a cash balance then your options are a bit different and you would be well-advised to consult with an advisor before accepting any lump sum amount.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 06, 2012 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes
Brian Kuhn CFP® Level 17

Hi there thanks for reaching out. You need to contact the human resources department of your former employer or the investment provider of the 401(k) plan. Do you still receive statements or know how to contacts these entities?

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 22, 2014 from Fulton, MD

1|600 characters needed characters left