Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I have an account with B Braun Medical. I wanted to know...

I have an account with B Braun Medical. I wanted to know if I can control how the money is invested?

I left B Braun when I moved to New Mexico. I do not know if I am able to control how the money I have with them is invested. Looks like from 2009 to 2011 that my funding target attainment percentage is going down. Would like to know if I can change something, so It doesn't do that.

Thank you for your time.

Donna Hall

May 01, 2012 by Donna from Angus, NM in  |  Flag
3 Answers  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes

Hello Donna! The best way to control how your money is invested is to rollover your funds to an IRA Rollover account. (However, if this account is in a pension you will want to see what your projected benefits are before requesting a rollover to be sure this is your best strategy.)

If the account is a 401k, then an IRA Rollover is likely to be your best option. With an IRA rollover you can establish an account with an online brokerage (Fidelity, Schwab, etc) and control how the money yourself. Or, if you prefer to work with an advisor, then I would suggest looking for a fee-based Registered Investment Advisor who can manage the account for you.

Comment   |  Flag   |  May 01, 2012 from Findlay, OH

1|600 characters needed characters left
3 votes
George Cones, JD Level 20


Have you tried to look up your old plan on this site? You may find some useful information there. In addition looking here, it would be a good idea to see if you can find the Summary Plan Description "SPD", if you don't have a copy request one from the plan administrator. This publication should help you understand the particulars of the plan. You should also get any information about the investment choices, and plan costs (the plan should be sending you something by the end of August because of the new disclosure rules).

Once you look at the plan you may find you have several alternatives.

-One, you could leave your assets in the current plan if you can build your own portfolio from the choices. -Two, you may be able to roll the assets over into your new 401K plan (if you have one), or -You may be able to "rollover" your assets into an IRA rollover account as Adam mentioned.

You first must spend a little time finding out about the Braun Plan, to find out if you want to leave your assests there, and on what terms. If you want to consider a rollover to your new plan you will have to get all the paperwork from both (old and new) plans.

You would also need to make sure you got all of the required forms in order to do a rollover, if you chose that route.

Comment   |  Flag   |  May 01, 2012 from Wilmington, DE

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes

I agree with George. Reference your statement and contact the custodian to clarify what type of an account this is. Then ask the custodian or the HR department if you have the option of reallocating your holdings. Good Luck, Dan

Comment   |  Flag   |  May 01, 2012 from Asbury Park, NJ

1|600 characters needed characters left