Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I usually receive a statement once a year detailing my...

I usually receive a statement once a year detailing my balance. When or how can I contact someone to check my balance?

i believe this account originates from my employment at Columbia Pictures many years ago.

May 05, 2012 by susane from Beverly Hills, CA in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
3 votes

Susane, This sounds like a pension or a 401k you left behind. Call the human resource department or the benefits department at Columbia Pictures and they will get you in touch with the administrator for the plan. The administrator of the plan holds all the records and should provide som insight. Good Luck, Dan

Comment   |  Flag   |  May 06, 2012 from Asbury Park, NJ

1|600 characters needed characters left
3 votes

It appears your account is associated with a pension plan that does not permit you to direct your investments. If my assumptions are correct, you can send a written request to the plan administrator for an updated balance once a year. By law, the US Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration, under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA), requires employers to provide this additional balance information. “When?” – any time you want to send the letter.

How? There must be a phone number on your statement. I would start there and request the address for the plan administrator. Apparently Columbia Pictures was purchased and merged several times ultimately ending up with Sony Corp. If your statement does not have a phone number, someone in the Human Resources or Treasury/Finance departments at Sony may be able to help with a phone number and address.

Hope this helps. Paul

Comment   |  Flag   |  May 06, 2012 from Ridgefield, CT

1|600 characters needed characters left