Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  My former employer is no longer in business,how do i know...

My former employer is no longer in business,how do i know if i have 401k or pension plan and how much?

TRW VSSI was in Cookeville,TN. I worked there almost 7 years but it has been since 1999. My friend ask me about it the other day so now im wondering if i had 401k or pension plan and if so how much?

Jul 11, 2012 by jewell in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes
Herbert N Glass Level 18

It is unfortunate that you lost track of your retirement plan benefits after you left your former employer. Actually, they had an obligation to send you periodic information about the plan, but if you moved and did not keep them informed of your address, it would be understandable that they could not find you easily.

However, there are a number a things you can do now. First, if you want to know what kind of plan they had, you should start by going to a website with the web address:

This website has a number of services (many are free) that may help you find some details that will help you determine what kind of rettirement plans they had for their employees. Once you have that information, you should do the following:

  1. Contact your State's Escheat Department and review their list for your name to see if the company may have given your benefit monies (providing you were vested and earned a benefit) to the State because they could not find you.

  2. If you think you may have been in a Pension Plan, you should go to a wesite with the Web address: http://www.pbgc.gov/docs/finding_a_lost_pension.pdf You will find a booklet that was put together by The Pension Action Center at the Gerontology Institute, University of Massachusetts Boston, and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. The booklet is called FINDING A LOST PENSION. This booklet has much information that will help you.

Good Luck with your search

Herbie Glass.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 11, 2012 from Franklin, MI

1|600 characters needed characters left
3 votes

One way would be to try and find out who ran the retirement plans and where the assets were held. If a former coworker had funds in the 401k, you could ask them where they were held (Fidelity, Vanguard, other). If they happened to have an old statement with a phone number you could call there to find out what has happened with any plan. Most likely, you do not have a 401k if you do not remember ever receiving statements or contributing to it. You would have had to fill out enrollment forms. However, there could have been pension money or profit sharing of some type. Good luck!

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 11, 2012 from Abilene, TX

1|600 characters needed characters left