Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  Will I have to pay taxes on consulting work income from...

Will I have to pay taxes on consulting work income from my home country while in US on student visa?

I'm an exchange student doing graduate work in the US with a visa. I did some consulting work for a company at home in India (where I am a citizen) this summer. Do I have to claim this income to the US? Will I have to pay taxes on it?

Aug 20, 2012 by Ratula from Sterling, CO in  |  Flag
1 Answer  |  2 Followers
Follow Question
2 votes

You should consult with a U.S. tax advisor, but if you are not a U.S. citizen or resident, then probably not. And even if you have a U.S. filing requirement, there is a good chance that you will owe little or no tax due to the foreign earned income exclusion. Review the IRS website http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch04.html for more information, and check with a professional tax advisor to be certain.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Aug 22, 2012 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left