Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  How do i find out who holds my 401k, for a company that...

How do i find out who holds my 401k, for a company that went out of business?

I had a 401k with Burger King, i would like to know what happened to it. The corporation, southdown corp., went out of business. Now i have now idea how to find my benefits?

Sep 21, 2012 by Summer from Denver, TN in  |  Flag
1 Answer  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
5 votes
Aram Level 16

You can search through the Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration, for free.

Or, you can try a free ERISA search. You can search old 5500 filings for the name of your former employer at various free ERISA search websites. If you can find a Form 5500 for your plan, you should find the contact information.

Or, you can check with The National Registry to see if your former employer has listed you as a missing participant. The registry is a secure database listing retirement plan account balances that have been left unclaimed.

Good luck!

1 Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 22, 2012 from San Francisco, CA
Erik Evans, CFP®

The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators has a great website. Start your free search for money that might be due you by going to http://www.unclaimed.org.

1 like | 
Flag |  Sep 22, 2012 near Berwyn, PA

1|600 characters needed characters left