Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  Where do i go to get a 1099r form?

Where do i go to get a 1099r form?

Jan 26, 2013 by Edward from Independence, MO in  |  Flag
4 Answers  |  5 Followers
Follow Question
8 votes
Peter C. Karp Level 20


If you are just looking for the 1099-R form you can find it and the instructions for completing the form on the following IRS website: http://www.irs.gov/ and search for 1099-R form.

A Form 1099-R is filed when there is a distribution from pension, retirement or Profit-Sharing plans, annuities, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc., and is issued to each person that has received a designated distribution or is treated as having received a distribution of $10 or more from a profit-sharing or retirement plan, an individual retirement account (IRAs), annuity, insurance contract, survivor income benefit plan, permanent and total disability payments under life insurance contracts or charitable gift annuities, etc. The plan custodian sends the 1099-R to the plan sponsor of the retirement plan if there have been any distributions of $10 or more from the plan in a given year. The form is mailed to recipients by January 31 of the year after the distribution was made. It is good practice to attach a copy of the Form 1099-R to his or her Tax Return.

The posted information is for informational purposes only. This message does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. All opinions and estimates constitute Karp Capital's judgment as of the date of the report and are subject to change without notice. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, expressed or otherwise, is made to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information contained herein. Securities offered through Financial Telesis Inc., member SIPC/FINRA. Financial Telesis Inc. and Karp Capital Management are not affiliated companies.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 30, 2013 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
4 votes

1099R is generated by the custodian of your assets if you had a distribution that requires it, and will be mailed directly to you. The IRS has a blank copy posted here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r.pdf

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 26, 2013 from Indianapolis, IN

1|600 characters needed characters left
3 votes
Herbert N Glass Level 18

If you are supposed to get a 1099R from a company, person or Trust that you have received either money, or "kind" that represents earnings to you, it is the party that is considered the payor to you who has the responsiblility for filling the 1099Rs out and then sending copies to you, generally by January 31st. Therefore, if you have not received your copy timely, then you call directly to the party that is responsible for providing them to you.

On the other hand if you are looking for a blank copy because you have to prepare such form and give it to someone else, then you usually can get small quantities from an office supply store or at a post office or library. In addition for greater amounts of 1099Rs, You should look on the internet and find a company that sells them in bulk. You may also look for a company that will sell you computer software that will help you to fill them in.

I hope I have helped you.

Herbie Glass, Certified Pension Consultant

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 26, 2013 from Franklin, MI

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes

Form 1099 is used to report different types of income. The letters behind the 1099 indicate which type of form you are dealing with. 1099-R reports distributions from a retirement plan such as an IRA, 401(k) annuity or pension. It is for reporting purposes only, and is not included in your taxable income.
Typically, you would not generate one yourself.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jan 29, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left