Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I was previously employed at Bob Evans and I want to know...

I was previously employed at Bob Evans and I want to know how to claim my 401k benefits?

Linda Schrecengost, employed on st. rt. 14 in Streetsboro Ohio. left in 2005

Mar 23, 2013 by Linda from Ravenna, OH in  |  Flag
3 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
2 votes

Linda, you need to contact the plan administrator and get a distribution form. This form will likely need to be signed off by Human Resources. Contact HR to get the form if they provide it, but you will probably need to get the contact number for the plan administrator, who will provide you the form.

This sounds like preaching, because, I guess, it is. But unless it is a dire emergency, you should try to save these funds earmarked for retirement and roll them into an IRA. You would avoid income taxation plus 10% penalty if you’re under 55. When you get to retirement age you may need these funds even more than you need them now

Comment   |  Flag   |  Mar 27, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote
Jason Hull Level 20

Hi Linda--

Try giving Bob Evans Farms Retirement Center a call at 1-888-233-4015. Their hours are 8 AM - 7 PM EDT on weekdays.

Morgan Stanley is the administrator; their number is 1-877-401-5233. Their hours are 9 AM - 5 PM EDT (typical bankers, huh?) on weekdays.

The online plan information for the Bob Evans plan is here: https://www.benefitsweb.com/bef.html

Finally, you can find more information than you can shake a stick at through Brightscope: http://www.brightscope.com/form-5500/basic-info/135792/Bob-Evans-Farms-Inc/137877/Bob-Evans-Farms-Inc-And-Affiliates-401k-Retirement-Plan/

Good luck!

Comment   |  Flag   |  Mar 24, 2013 from Fort Worth, TX

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote

Jason is right on with his reply... sorry I didn't get back with you earlier...

Rod Miller, CFP, CLU, ChFC

Comment   |  Flag   |  Mar 24, 2013 from Springfield, MO

1|600 characters needed characters left