Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  This was my son first time filing taxes, he accidentally...

This was my son first time filing taxes, he accidentally check the box where nobody else can claim him as a dependent. I supported him all year and I cannot claim him on my return. What is the proper way to fill Amended return?

Mar 25, 2013 by Darrius from Pike Rd, AL in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes
Jim Blankenship Level 17

Hi Darrius -

If your son used tax software, there should be an option for filling out the amendment, called a Form 1040X. The software should pull the numbers into the amendment for you.

If the original return was hand-prepared, you'll need to get a 1040X (go to IRS.gov and put 1040X in the search box). Then you'll transfer over the figures from the original return to the proper spaces on the 1040X from the original return, and then prepare the corrected information on a new form 1040. Attach the changed form(s) to the 1040X and send the whole package to the IRS (address depends on your location, see the instructions).

Either way you'll have to file this return by mail - amendments are not allowed via e-file. This will result in a long period of processing time. You'll probably need to file an extension for the return that you wish to claim him on, because the amendment won't likely be completely processed until after 4/15/2013 - and if you try to file before the amendment is processed your return (or at least the claim of him as a dependent) will be rejected.

Hope this helps -


Comment   |  Flag   |  Mar 25, 2013 from New Berlin, IL

1|600 characters needed characters left
3 votes
Jason Hull Level 20


Jim's got the right answer. One approach you could use to avoid paying fees and interest penalties is to file your return as if you couldn't claim your son as a dependent, pay the appropriate taxes, and once your son's 1040x is processed, file your own 1040x showing your son as a dependent.

The 1040x may sound like a pain in the backside, but I've filled out several of them in my time due to amended K-1s and the like, and it's not as bad as it sounds. Well, it's not bad for an IRS form, that is!

2 Comments   |  Flag   |  Mar 25, 2013 from Fort Worth, TX
Jim Blankenship

While the amendment approach that Jason has listed above is perfectly valid and will accomplish the same end, the extension approach will be more efficient. Just fill out your original return as if you were claiming your son and then apply for the automatic 6-month extension. If you owe any tax with your return you will have to pay it at that time, but then, say May 1st when your son's amendment has processed, you can go ahead and efile your original return. You have until October 15 to file the original return.

Flag |  Mar 25, 2013 near New Berlin, IL
Jim Blankenship

(sorry, hitting enter took my response before I was finished) Doing an amendment will extend the processing time by 8-10 weeks, and so if you're expecting a refund this will delay the refund. Filing an extension followed by the original return later will process in a much more timely manner.

Flag |  Mar 25, 2013 near New Berlin, IL

1|600 characters needed characters left