Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I worked for cosmetics plus i believe i contributed to a...

I worked for cosmetics plus i believe i contributed to a 401k can i access this info even though they are no longer in business?

May 29, 2013 by anita from Miami Beach, FL in  |  Flag
1 Answer  |  2 Followers
Follow Question
2 votes

Anita, if you have funds in a 401(k), and the company closes, it is still your money, But you need to find it.

Every plan has a plan administrator, that, as the name implies, administers the plan. If a plan is terminated, the undistributed assets go to a Qualified Termination Administrator, or QTA.

The Employee Benefits Security Administration, or EBSA, is run by the Department of Labor. EBSA keeps track of who the QTA would be.

Just go to http://askebsa.dol.gov/AbandonedPlanSearch/ and find your plan.

If you had a pension under the same circumstances, you would go th the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp website at http://pbgc.gov/.

I would also check on you states website for unclaimed money. In Florida, it is https://www.fltreasurehunt.org/

1 Comment   |  Flag   |  May 29, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL
Michael Steven Greenberg, CFP®

To clarify, if you have a retirement plan and you can contribute money, and it has a cash value, it is typically a 401(k). If only your employer was contributing, and you were promised a monthly amount at retirement, it is typically a pension.

Flag |  May 29, 2013 near Delray Beach, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left