Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I have a small amount of money in a 401k with Vaden...

I have a small amount of money in a 401k with Vaden Holding, Inc. How do I access it? . I no longer work for them.

Jun 03, 2013 by Craig from Savannah, GA in  |  Flag
4 Answers  |  6 Followers
Follow Question
2 votes
Peter C. Karp Level 20


You should be receiving quarterly statements for your 401(k) plan that you had with Vaden Holding, Inc. that will provide you with information on how to access your account. If you are not receiving your statements you should contact the HR department of your former employer to find out what distribution options are available to you as well as how to access your account.

Disclosure: The posted information is for informational purposes only. This message does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. All opinions and estimates constitute Karp Capital's judgment as of the date of the report and are subject to change without notice. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, expressed or otherwise, is made to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information contained herein. Securities offered through Financial Telesis Inc., member SIPC/FINRA. Financial Telesis Inc. and Karp Capital Management are not affiliated companies.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jun 05, 2013 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes

I agree with Peter and I would also add that if you no longer work for that company and you want to continue to defer taxation of those funds you should consider rolling that 401k to an IRA account where you will have more control and many more investment options available to you. If you just take a distribution that money will be taxed as ordinary income and if you're under 59 1/2 you will also get hit with a 10% penalty.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jun 06, 2013 from Palm Harbor, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote
Rich Winer Level 20

Craig, For instruction on how to access or rollover the funds in your former employer's 401K plan, I would contact the company's human resources department. According to Brightscope, the plan provider is Transamerica. You can reach their retirement services department at (866) 498-4557. That's their telephone number for employers. If that's not the right number, they should be able to transfer you to the right department. You will likely need your account number or Social Security number. Good luck.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jun 03, 2013 from Woodland Hills, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote

Craig, this question comes up all the time. Every plan has a plan administrator, who, as the name implies, administers the plan. Call HR at your former employer, and get the number to the plan administrator. They will update your address so you will get statements and give you instructions to their online portal.

1 Comment   |  Flag   |  Jun 10, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL

You can access using the ROBS concept. Rollover Business Start-Up, assuming that is what you want to do with it - and, if the plan sponsor and plan administrator will let you do it.

Flag |  Jun 11, 2013 near Waipahu, HI

1|600 characters needed characters left