Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  How can i find old 401k?

How can i find old 401k?

Jun 04, 2013 by westly from Bellingham, WA in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  3 Followers
Follow Question
11 votes

Old 401(k) - Many people forget to roll their 401(k)s into IRAs when they leave an employer. Then if the former company closes, these accounts are usually difficult to find. To track down a missing 401(k): contact the Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) at 866-444-3272, www.askebsa.dol.gov/abandonedplansearch/

Old Pension - Track down a lost pension at www.pbgc.com

For further information on this topic feel free to ask me, James Shagawat, jamess@baron-financial.com, www.baron-financial.com.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jun 05, 2013 from Fair Lawn, NJ

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

Westly, if your former employer is still in business, contact HR and get the number for the plan administrator. The plasn administrator, as the name implies, administers the plan.

Because you have lost track of your plan, I am assuming you are no longer receiving statements. Call the plan administrator and update your address. You should also be sure, because it has been awhile since you started the plan, that your beneficiary is who you want it to be. They can give you any information you need.

The plan administrator can give you instructions on signing-up to the online portal. There, you can review your account at any time. It is really easy to sign up.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jun 07, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left