Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  Family member was fired, is now looking into going on...

Family member was fired, is now looking into going on disability, what should we be thinking about, concerned about and/or aware of?

A family member has been fired from her job, unrelated to her medical issues. She is looking into going on disability due to her medical condition in the wake of the firing and I want to make sure she has a good understanding of her finances. Would an hourly planner be a good start so that she has a better understanding of her financial picture and financial capabilities?

Jul 01, 2013 by Marcus from Brea, CA in  |  Flag
3 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
2 votes

Marcus, it would be worthwhile to visit with a planner. Remember that a disability is something that would prevent you from not being able to work, not that you do not want to work anymore. We have all had days where if there was an easy way out we would have taken it but, this is not what Social Security Disability benefits is designed to do. The spirit of the benefit is to help those who are truly unable to work, any work. If that describes your family member, a visit to her family physician or specialist will be in order. Being medically qualified as disabled is the first step.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 01, 2013 from Kingsport, TN

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes

I might make two recommendations here. First, I would have her seek out a Certified Financial Planner to help with the financial questions she might have.

Also, I would recommend an attorney who specializes in disability cases. Most initial claims for Social Security disability benefits are turned down... often multiple times. I've had several clients over the last 29 years who have spent much time and effort to receive the benefits they were entitled to, but were repeatedly turned down by the government. My own Dad was one of them. A specialist in disability claims will be invaluable to your relative at this time.

Best of Luck,


1 Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 01, 2013 from Springfield, MO
James D. Kinney, CFP®

A CFP who will charge an hourly fee for small ad hoc projects (there are a few of us out here) can look over her budget, cash flow needs, and long term planning issues such as retirement. I think it is a wise move. Agreed with Rod generally - but it depends on the situation. I have seen claims sail through with little contest in cases involving blindness, cancer, etc. - but cases claiming anxiety, stress, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. might meet more resistance and she may need legal representation. And I do agree with John as well. If your family member was able to work before being fired (since the firing was unrelated to the disability) then what has changed to make same person unable to perform the same function today? A period of disability might make it much more difficult to reenter the workforce later if the need arises, so it should be a last resort. I am presuming that due to the firing that unemployment is not an option?

Flag |  Jul 01, 2013 near Bridgewater, NJ

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

Marcus, I would seek out a Certified Financial Planner™ in your area. Seek referrals, from trusted friends, relatives, and co-workers. You should be able to consult with them to find one that relates to your situation best. Depending on the individual advisor and the amount of assets involved, they may have a solution, perhaps without an hourly fee.
The CFP Board has no cost Consumer Outreach Programs. Go to http://cfp.net/public-policy/consumer-outreach

My experiences with disability is that they usually turn down first requests, regardless of merit. It is my understanding that attorneys get compensated by collecting a percentage of retroactive disability claims, so they are in no particular rush to get your claim approved. Still, without an attorney advocating for you, it will be very difficult to get through all the administrative hurdles. It might take a year or two to get her approved through an attorney; it may take four or five years, or never without one.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 05, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left