Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I received a letter from social security that i have a...

I received a letter from social security that i have a certain amount of money due to me by Unicare savings plan from 2001. i am trying to find out how can i go about receiving this benefit.

Jul 06, 2013 by Tomasa from West Palm Beach, FL in  |  Flag
3 Answers  |  5 Followers
Follow Question
3 votes

The Social Security Administration sends these notices to individuals who file a claim for social security benefits. It is a “reminder” notice that there could be benefits help by previous employer(s) that you are entitled to, e.g. a 401(k) account held at old employer.
More information can be found on the DOL website www.dol.gov/ebsa/ssapotentialprivateretirement/

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 08, 2013 from McLean, VA

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote


Best Regards,


Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 06, 2013 from Springfield, MO

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote

Tomasa, you probably got a 'Potential Private Retirement Benefit Information Notice'. It is typically triggered when you apply for a Social Security benefit. Please let me know if this is correct. here is a link to Social Security FAQ http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/SSAPotentialPrivateRetirement/SSAPotentialPrivateRetirement.html

You need to contact the plan administrator of your plan. If you were an employee at Unilever, the plan administrator's number should be (201) 894-7035 . If not, just call HR at your employer and they will give you the number.

The plan administrator will be able to update your contact info so you can get current statements, provide directions so you can sign-up to the online portal, and provide you with benefit options. I always recommend that you also review your beneficiary information, as situations sometimes change with time.

I recommend you contact a qualified CFP(R) to review how these assets fill in to your overall financial and retirement plan. As a local advisor in Delray and Boynton Beach, I regularly service clients in West Palm Beach and all of Palm Beach County. Please feel free to contact me if you need to discuss your situation.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Jul 08, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left