Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  How do I find my 401k from ATA?

How do I find my 401k from ATA?

Melinda Lambert 2330 Amberleigh DR Plainfield, In 46168 Or 6354 Meadowfield Dr Indianapolis In

Sep 19, 2013 by melinda from Plainfield, IN in  |  Flag
4 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
5 votes
Peter C. Karp Level 20


I assume that ATA is your current or former employer. That being said, you will need to contact the HR department of ATA or call the number on your most recent statement to find out the status of your 401(k) account. If this is from a former employer, depending upon the length of time since you were employed by them, they may have rolled over your account into an IRA on your behalf.

Disclosure: The posted information is for informational purposes only. This message does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. All opinions and estimates constitute Karp Capital's judgment as of the date of the report and are subject to change without notice. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, expressed or otherwise, is made to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information contained herein. Securities offered through Financial Telesis Inc., member SIPC/FINRA. Financial Telesis Inc. and Karp Capital Management are not affiliated companies.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 19, 2013 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
2 votes

Melinda -

Assuming you are talking about ATA Airlines, the company filed for bankruptcy several years ago. The current incarnation of the company is called Global Aero Logistics. As a start, I would call and ask to speak with someone in HR with Global. I'm sure they can direct you as to where to find the information on the former ATA plan.

Brian Pinkston, Financial Advisor, Anchorage, Alaska

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 19, 2013 from Anchorage, AK

1|600 characters needed characters left
1 vote


You should have received pension statements over the course of your employment. As such, there should be a phone number for the plan administrator on those statements. Try that first.

If you can't find your old statements, contact the HR department of your old employer. I'd look that up if I could, but... there are several companies called ATA out there, and I'm not sure which one you refer to.

If neither of those work, go to this link: http://search.pbgc.gov/mp/

This is the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.

Their website will help you determine whether or not you have funds that are due you.

Best Regards,


Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 19, 2013 from Springfield, MO

1|600 characters needed characters left
0 votes

Melinda, please be very cautious about posting any personal info on public websites.

If you had a balance, it is out there somewhere. You need to find the plan administrator. Brian thinks it was taken over by Global Aero Logistics, so I would call HR there and ask for the plan administrator. Its possible that someone at HR will be helpful, but I don’t think it is very likely. This might take some finessing to get the correct information, but you need to ultimately get to the plan administrator.

It is possible your plan was terminated, in which case you should be able to find it at the Department of Labor website for abandoned plans http://askebsa.dol.gov/AbandonedPlanSearch

Comment   |  Flag   |  Sep 30, 2013 from Delray Beach, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left