Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  I used to work at coconut till 2011 how do I find out...

I used to work at coconut till 2011 how do I find out what happend to my 401k?

Oct 01, 2013 by Castellon from Pacoima, CA in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
4 votes

Okay... I'll take a shot at this. Number one, what is "Coconut"??? I assume it was the name of the company with which you were employed. Number two... you should have received some form of documentation regarding your 401k, both when you enrolled in it, and, after you left.

I'd first contact the HR Department at that company to find out... maybe you've moved, etc, although you should have gotten at least quarterly statements regarding contributions while you were there, as well as after you left.

If the company is possibly out of business or not longer sponsoring a 401k, go to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Association at http://www.pbgc.gov/

Hope this helps... if not, stay in touch...

Best Regards...

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 01, 2013 from Springfield, MO

1|600 characters needed characters left
4 votes

I'll assume that coconut is the company you used to work for. You should still be getting at least annual statements. Worst case is to call the company and ask for the benefits department who can look up your account by name or social and ask them to email or fax the latest statement on your account along with a rollover or distribution form. I always recommend that when you leave an employer, you ask for the distribution form which will allow you to rollover the account without any tax consequences as long as you roll the money into your current employers plan, if they offer one and you are eligible. Another route would be to open an IRA at your local bank or with your advisor. This allows you to avoid the investment limitations of your current employer's plan. The last option, which I do not recommend unless there is a financial hardship, is to take a full lump sum withdrawal by liquidating the account and a check will be sent to you. If you are under the age of 59 1/2, the IRS imposes a 10% early withdrawal penalty as well the dollar amount withdrawal amount being picked up as income and taxed at your ordinary income tax bracket. Beyond age 59.5, the amount withdrawn will not incur the 10% penalty but still be taxable. Hope this helps.

Rich Kalina Florida Actuarial Corp. Fac@gate.net

Comment   |  Flag   |  Oct 02, 2013 from Fort Lauderdale, FL

1|600 characters needed characters left