Home  >  Financial Articles and Q&A  >  How do i start a claim for my pension plan?

How do i start a claim for my pension plan?

i got a letter from social security that i have benefits do to me and i need to find out how to start recieving them. western conference of teamsters pension plan is the name of my plan

Feb 13, 2014 by elizabeth from Valley Center, CA in  |  Flag
2 Answers  |  4 Followers
Follow Question
6 votes
Peter C. Karp Level 20


As the other advisor mentioned, Social Security benefits are different than pension benefits you may be entitled to from your previous employer. The first step is to determine your eligibility by contacting a local Social Security office or starting your application online. Next you should contact the Western Conference of Teamsters either by phone or online to find out your eligibility for pension benefits and what paperwork is required to allow you to receive your benefits. Best of luck.

Disclosure: The posted information is for informational purposes only. This message does not constitute an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy any security. All opinions and estimates constitute Karp Capital's judgment as of the date of the report and are subject to change without notice. Accordingly, no representation or warranty, expressed or otherwise, is made to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or timeliness of the information contained herein. Securities offered through Financial Telesis Inc., member SIPC/FINRA. Financial Telesis Inc. and Karp Capital Management are not affiliated companies.

Comment   |  Flag   |  Feb 19, 2014 from San Francisco, CA

1|600 characters needed characters left
4 votes
Andy Tilp, CFP® Level 16

Hi Elizabeth,

For Social Security benefits, you can either go into your local Social Security office, or you can start your application online at http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/retirement.htm.

You also stated there is a Western Conference Teamsters pension. That is different from Social Security and may or may not be in addition to your Social Security benefit. The pension website is at http://www.wctpension.org/retirees/website. From here you should be able to login to see your pension benefits. The site can probably tell you who to contact and howto start those benefits

Hope this helps


Comment   |  Flag   |  Feb 13, 2014 from Sherwood, OR

1|600 characters needed characters left