Answers in Portfolio Management

Portfolio Management is a form of investment management where a person or group of people takes control of money given to them by investors who trust the managers to implement a strategy to help them achieve their investment goals.
0 votes
Richard P Taylor Level 17
The star system is basically irrelevant. They even admit that it's a flawed system and doesn't give the investor any valuable information. But, they have to sell subscriptions......All of the above is great advice. Consider ETF's or low cost funds. ...(more)
0 votes
It is easy to find low-fee funds with 3 or more stars-- you want both. Check that the number of stars has been there for 5 or more years or is going up. Don't use just one fund, spread your investment around with other funds that invest in different stocks.
8 votes
Frank Reilly Level 20
A financial advisor can help by educating you on the wide variety of college planning investment vehicles and funding strategies out there. Once determining your personal financial goals and the amount of college expenses you are willing to fund, the ...(more)
1 vote
I think Morningstar does a good job overall of assigning ratings. From my experience, most 5 stars funds are ones that are actively managed and have done a good job beating their peers over time. Of course, that doesn't mean they will continue to beat ...(more)
2 votes
They can help first of all by selecting the right 529 plan for your specific need. You can choose plans from another state, but there may be a tax advantage to staying within your state. They can help you determine the best funding strategy for your ...(more)
0 votes
Justin, Great question. Here's one benefit I can think of: as a financial advisor I have the ability to help a business set up a 529 plan for the employees. In doing so the employees are able to invest in American Funds at Net Asset Value (0 cost). Ordinarily ...(more)
1 vote
Michael Baker Level 7
And advisor should help you select the proper asset allocation for a 529. plan, but there are numerous considerations when deciding how best to save for college. For instance, if you have a child who earns a scholarship and doesn't need the money in ...(more)
0 votes
James, I would agree with all of the previous responses to your question. Generally speaking, yes, they do create a problem inside of an IRA. I would stay away from that. Also, it sounds a lot like you are being very speculative. For investors who ...(more)
0 votes
Steve Casull Level 13
James, what have you noticed that has happened to IPOs recently? I've been doing this for a long time. Back in the day, IPOs were priced from a 'marketing standpoint". The underwriters were guaranteeing all the share to be bought, so they left some "meat ...(more)
2 votes
Michael Baker Level 7
James, One consideration is Unrelated Business Tax Income (UBTI) When you hold an MLP in the IRA, you will still have to pay taxes (out of the IRA) on any income that is passed through to partners in excess of $1,000/year. There are various views on ...(more)
1 vote
This is pure speculation and does not belong in any retirement account. That said you could find a custodian to hold MLPs. Again trying to beat the market is speculating and gambling. This type of activity belongs in Las Vegas not your retirement account.
0 votes
Short answer.....No. It's just a snappy phrase that rhymes. This industry is loaded with catch phrases like that. At the end of the day that's all they are.
0 votes
Steve Casull Level 13
Tina, these questions could lead to great harm if not answered properly. To answer them properly more information must be evaluated, information about the client...you. You mention debt, how much and what interest are you paying? Is it a psychological ...(more)
0 votes
Steve Casull Level 13
Timothy, Call me an antagonist, but I can't believe not one of the previous comments asked, "What do you need the money so desperately for?". What kind of "retirement plan" is the money in currently? Do you own a home? Tim, before you take ANY advice, ...(more)
0 votes
Past performance, risk and volatility analysis are important parts of the process during fund selection, but those pieces alone don’t tell the whole story. The star rating tells me how the fund has done in the past; but methodology, management, volatility ...(more)
  • posts per page