Answers in Portfolio Management

Portfolio Management is a form of investment management where a person or group of people takes control of money given to them by investors who trust the managers to implement a strategy to help them achieve their investment goals.
11 votes
Don't! The stock market is not a game; you don't "play" it. If you treat investing as a game, you will end up as a statistic. Rather, you should develop an investing PLAN around a set of financial GOALS. What you are trying to accomplish, the time ...(more)
7 votes
CD'S are not investments, they are short term cash equivilents and should only be used if you have a precise need for your funds in the very near future.
7 votes
Barry Rabinowitz Level 19
hi: I do not know your age or your Asset Allocation to emerging markets. In general i recommend 10-15% allocation to emerging markets. I like buying what has done poorly recently, and emerging markets fell about 20% in 2011.
5 votes
Hi: The problem with MPT is that it assumed a normal distribution of returns. Without getting too technical- It did not provide for fat tail events: highly improbable events-that have been happening with increasing frequency. That does not mean that ...(more)
1 vote
Hi: MPT was developed by Harry Markowitz- who assumed that all investors were rational and risk adverse. Therefore the job of an invesment mgr was to maximize return per unit of risk. This was done through Diversification: having different asset classes, ...(more)
1 vote
That there is an individual, team of analysts, or computer program that are making proactive (and sometimes reactive) trades to your underlying fun investments rather than just tracking and index, such as the S&P 500, which would be considered a passive ...(more)
4 votes
Star rating change...Morningstar even just changed their rating system to reflect the underlying process of funds rather than just rank on a star system. I feel underlying fees are more important when comparing index funds...they essentially are holding ...(more)
4 votes
You can compare it to one of the numerous bond indexes that match the type of bond you are measuring. Check out teh various indexes at morningstar.com
6 votes
Index funds are mutual funds which are designed to match the performance of a market index. As an example, a mutual fund may be intended to track the Russell 3000 Index. Such funds are usually passively managed, and as such, tend to capture the increases ...(more)
4 votes
Purchasing the stock of a company provides investors with an ownership interest in a public company. It gives the investor an opportunity to participate in the appreciation and depreciation in the price of the stock over time. Additionally, stockholders ...(more)
  • posts per page