Answers in Real Estate

Real estate investing involves the purchase, ownership, management, rental and/or sale of real estate for profit. Should I refinance now or later? Should I invest in real estate backed securities? Read on for popular real estate questions.
8 votes
Kristin C. Harad Level 12
As the gentlemen who answered previous to me indicate, the decision to purchase a home is not simply a financial choice. A number of financial and non-financial factors play into the home purchasing decision, including, but not limited to: -How much ...(more)
2 votes
If you're asking about buying a house, it's probably a pretty good time to do so, depending on where you live. The Case Shiller Index of residential homes shows that house prices have declined by some 30% in the past 5 or 6 years. And mortgage rates ...(more)
0 votes
Yes. If you can afford it and especially if you are looking to make a home out of your purchase, not necessarily an investment to make loads of money. The tax benefits of owning a home and pride of ownership are great as well. I would not buy if you ...(more)
2 votes
In addition to the traditional answers about when rates are x% lower than what you currently have, I recommend running an analysis showing the impact of sending all the mortgage closing costs in to your current mortgage as a one-time additional principal ...(more)
2 votes
That's a very BIG question, and hard to answer without a lot more specifics. It depends. It should probably be avoided if possible. Have you considered a Short Sale, instead?
3 votes
It is also wise to consider whether you will be able to stay in the home long term. If your job has a likelihood of taking you to another city in the next 3 or 5 years, then you may be better off NOT buying. Remember, real estate is typically not very ...(more)
3 votes
Now is a decent time to buy real estate in many markets. But before you do, you need to make sure it fits your overall goals and plans. If this is to be your personal residence, do you like the place? Do you plan to stay in the area for some time? ...(more)
5 votes
Barry Rabinowitz Level 19
hi: Old rules of thumb: Principal, Interest and taxes should not exceed 30-35% of income. In many areas prices are back to the levels of 2000. Only time will tell if prices stabilized in 2011-12.
2 votes
Barry Rabinowitz Level 19
hi: You need to look at a home as a place to live: NOT an investment. Right now, with the tax deduction for mortgage interest, owning a home, in many areas is less costly than renting.
2 votes
When you can improve your cash flow and rates are at least .5% lower than your current rate. A mortgage advisor would be able to run an analysis for you. You can get a recommendation to a mortgage advisor from your financial planner or a friend.
0 votes
Principal, that way you are paying down the money owed. I would double check with your mortgage consultant as well.
  • posts per page