Answers in Selecting an Advisor

What questions should I ask when selecting a financial planner? How do I know if you can trust a financial advisor? Learn from the experts themselves on how you can find an advisor that best fits your specific needs.
0 votes
It is important to meet with a couple of advisors before you choose. There are some firms and advisors who provide planning in order to just sell products. Understanding how you advisor is paid is important and if they are acting as your Fiduciary. ...(more)
0 votes
Hi Denise, please feel free to reach out. Jessica
1 vote
CFP is the gold standard. I would further check to ensure your advisor is a FIDUCIARY and Independent so they are not looking to sell you high priced products and services, but rather put your interests before their own.
0 votes
CFP--Certified Financial Planner for run of the mill financial planning. RMA--Retirement Management Analyst for full on retirement income planning.
1 vote
Depends on what he is selling you. Most brokers who position themselves as financial advisors sell mutual fund A shares, which usually pay an upfront commission of around 5.75%.
0 votes
Ask to see a copy of a sample financial plan 1st and ask for referrals. Also, ask if the plan comes with a 100% money back guarantee. If you don't see value in the plan, they you shouldn't have to pay.
0 votes
Ask how they get paid 1st--you'll want to know if they are commissions, fees, or both. 2nd, ask to see a copy of a financial plan that they've prepared for other clients. If they are a true planner, they'll have one ready to show you. It should cover ...(more)
0 votes
No, not at all. I meet with clients all over the country via Skype, webex, conference calls, etc. A lot of clients love this feature.
0 votes
I think that this depends on the clients goals and comfort level, but I can tell you that I have many successful client relationships out of our immediate service area. I travel to meet each client face to face once a year and everything else is handled ...(more)
1 vote
Today with tech it doesn't have to be someone local if it works. I have many clients I've never met since i use lots of online meeting tools and screen sharing. All advisors don't work this way but some do so shop around.
1 vote
Not necessarily. I've had clients in many different cities and states. I worked with some for years without ever meeting them in person, but I don't think this is ideal. I've found there is nothing like meeting with someone in person at least once ...(more)
0 votes
Your question is a little vague. What are you trying to accomplish? If you have an investment management question, consider talking to someone that has a CFA. If you have a tax question, seek out a CPA or EA. If you're looking for retirement or financial ...(more)
1 vote
We have created a free public service guide to help investors realize when and why they might require additional help from a professional. Below are just some excerpts for your review: What are some important questions that I should ask myself to determine ...(more)
1 vote
I agree with much of what others said. Here are some questions I would be asking: 1) Do I know what I own and what I owe? Do I review it at least once per year? 2) Do I know what "Risk" is for a portfolio of stocks and bonds? 3) Do I know how much risk ...(more)
2 votes
Wow seems like everyone has some really good advice here. I guess i would add that if you are asking the question, when you most likely need some guidance. It's often not what we know that causes the issues, but what we didn't know or most likely something ...(more)
  • posts per page