Answers in Selecting an Advisor

What questions should I ask when selecting a financial planner? How do I know if you can trust a financial advisor? Learn from the experts themselves on how you can find an advisor that best fits your specific needs.
0 votes
Like others, I certainly prefer to meet face-to-face with clients, at least once. However, technology has made it possible to provide financial planning and investing services anywhere. As advisors, we do have to keep in mind registration issues with ...(more)
2 votes
I prefer to see clients face to face as well but that does not mean they have to live in the same town or state. The important thing is finding an advisor who you are comfortable with and have confidence in that they are looking out for your best interest. ...(more)
1 vote
Tunc Tanin Level 10
I prefer clients that I can see face to face at least once. I am not a big fan of giving investment advice to someone that I never met in person. I dont feel I could judge how they will feel when the market dropped 30 percent a year twice in a row. I ...(more)
0 votes
Joseph Gissy Level 16
Nothing can really beat the face to face interaction that a client can have with an advisor. However, as mentioned above you do not have to be local or even in the same state for that matter to have a financial advisor or to even have face to face meetings. ...(more)
1 vote
Layton Jacob Cox Level 11
I actually believe that with the advances in technology and the growing influx of Gen X and Gen Y investors, you no longer have to be on the same continent. Skype, Email, Text, Facebook, LinkedIn. You can access these anywhere that you get cell phone ...(more)
2 votes
Layton Jacob Cox Level 11
I don't see a situation where using a commission based advisor would make sense. If you want to "set it and forget it" open an etrade or scotttrade account. If you need advice because you have zero investment experience, open an account at a robo-advisor. If ...(more)
1 vote
You will almost certainly need to find a private source of capital (hedge fund, private lending pool, or direct loan from a HNW individual) and make an excellent case for this investment's viability in order to have a chance at funding. Unfortunately, ...(more)
3 votes
You have to differentiate between "Advisor" and "Product Rep." Some countries are forcing this to happen legally. You never need a commissioned based "advisor", you may need a commissioned "product rep". Specifically commissions make sense for transactional ...(more)
1 vote
While I agree with the previous posters, I do want to mention there are certain types of situations where a commissions based approach may make more sense. For instance, if you really wanted to invest in a product that created guarantees and in essence ...(more)
1 vote
If you still happen to be working for the company with the ESOP their are most likely restrictions in place given the nature of the fact the company needs to "buy back" the shares via their repurchase obligation account. You might also be able to rollover ...(more)
1 vote
Sure an advisor can assist with this. Check with the adminstrator for the ESOP plan first, they may be able to give you the help you need. An advisor will be able to help you with the best tax strategies for taking these distributions as well as managing ...(more)
1 vote
Don't see why not. Seek a local advisor who will accept hourly fee engagements. Search this website, or search National Association of Personal Financial Advisors at www.napfa.org to find an advisor near you.
2 votes
The advantage would be to the advisor, not to you. The difference between a commissioned and fee-only advisor is the standard in which they are held accountable. The commissioned advisor only needs to fill out suitability form which in essence removes ...(more)
2 votes
I don't see any advantage to using a commission based financial advisor as they could be motivated to promote certain products not based on their suitability for you but because they receive a better payout. They are also inclined to change your investments ...(more)
2 votes
Your financial advisor doesn't need to be local. That being said, I think it's important to have at least one face to face meeting with your advisor throughout the year. With the available technology today, (email, video conferencing, etc) you can get ...(more)
  • posts per page