Answers in Current Events

How does the European debt crisis affect the American economy? When can we expect consumer confidence to substantially increase? Learn how political/social events shape our financial situation and influence our financial decisions.
0 votes
Jessica - It depends on which kind of loan you are looking for. If it's a auto or home loan, I would check with your local credit union. I prefer to use credit unions because they are local and the rates/terms can often be more advantageous to you. If ...(more)
0 votes
Hi Jessica, Unfortunately, your question is far too general for me to provide any clarity. What type of loan are you looking for?
1 vote
Several things can affect currency movements. I wouldn't personally want to be long the Euro versus USD as they have weaker economic growth, lower interest rates, and more political risk.
0 votes
There's a resource link located at http://ofn.org/cdfi-locator that locates CDFI institutions in local neighborhoods. Hope this helps. It's grown a lot the past few years.
2 votes
You may want to consider rolling over you 401k's to a rollover IRA account. This will consolidate the accounts into one account, potentially reduce your costs and give you a wider variety of investment vehicles.
1 vote
Fulton J. Wood Level 5
No one really knows, but the vast majority of bets being made are for the euro to drop against the USD. Then again, when everyone is on the same side of the boat, you know what happens.
1 vote
Peter Cacioppo Level 16
This question is from September of 2012 or over 2 years ago. A good example of how investors should not be concerned with the next earnings report but instead should be concerned with 1. The quality of management, and 2. the growth potential of the industry ...(more)
0 votes
Peter Cacioppo Level 16
This question is from July of 2012 or over 2 years ago. A good example of how investors should not be concerned with the next earnings report but instead should be concerned with 1. The quality of management, and 2. the growth potential of the industry ...(more)
0 votes
How comfortable are you managing your old 401k money? If you enjoy managing your money and have the time to invest Scottrade or Ameritrade would be great options; low cost, great investment choices, and research is good. If you do not like to manage ...(more)
0 votes
Peter Cacioppo Level 16
Walk into a Fidelity office with your paperwork and ask them to help you roll over the accounts into a new Fidelity IRA. They can also help you invest the money; perhaps their low cost ETFs would be appropriate.
0 votes
I think many of the answers here are correct, yet are broad generalizations. I wouldn't focus so much on the stock price itself, but rather the market capitalization of the company. To find that you take the total shares outstanding and multiply it by ...(more)
0 votes
Not any time soon, but nothing lasts forever. Just ask the Romans.
2 votes
If you are active in a 401(k) or other plan now through another employer, you can have these old ones combined into your current plan. If you don't think your current plan (if any) is very good, look elsewhere. If not, decide where you want to have your ...(more)
2 votes
I would talk to your HR department, but here are the basics. Establish an account to roll the money into (probably a Traditional IRA) Complete forms with your 401(k) providers to transfer the money If you are still employed at one of the 401(k) sponsors, ...(more)
0 votes
Santiago, When you invest, you can control basically five major aspects of your portfolio: 1. The over all diversification and timeline 2. The costs related to the investment options 3. The negative impacts from income taxes 4. The exposure to long-term ...(more)
0 votes
The other advisors have given you some excellent suggestions. I would recommend a slightly different approach. I would ask some of your friends, colleagues or neighbors for suggestions on investment advisors who they use or know. You could also search ...(more)
1 vote
Here are a couple of suggestions you might also consider: 1) If your husband works for a company that provides a 401(k) or similar plan, sometimes the plan sponsor offers free classes for employees that are nearing retirement age. Your husband might ...(more)
2 votes
Hi Karen, As Michael pointed out finding a truly objective and unbiased "retirement class" can be challenging. There are firms who do offer strictly educational programs on retirement issues, and they should be billed as such. Our firm hosts a no-cost, ...(more)
2 votes
Good afternoon Karren. Thank you for your question. Most of the time, if you go to a "retirement class" what you will find is some on using "retirement" subject line to get people in and then try to sell them something, like an annuity. Not always, but ...(more)
1 vote
Carlos P. Sava Level 13
The answers provided thus far mostly have the correct recommendation, but I wanted to point out a few exceptions and explain the other factors at play here. I absolutely agree that in general, stocks with low share prices are riskier, may be thinly traded, ...(more)
2 votes
I agree with Alex, never own a stock under 5$
0 votes
Alex Bentley Level 18
Buying by the Fed lowers interest rates. At some point rates will rise, and have already started to do so. But that does not mean you shouldn't own bonds. Bonds act as a hedge against your stock holdings. If there is a 30% drop in your stock holdings, ...(more)
1 vote
Alex Bentley Level 18
Just say no!!!!
5 votes
Jason Hull Level 20
This isn't financial advice, but I get the same feeling in my gut as the quotation below. I haven't tried it, nor will I. "When I see a stock tip in my spam folder from a spammer, I feel like shorting it." - Derek Halpern https://twitter.com/derekhalpern/status/293486647507558401
4 votes
Eric Level 17
With the Fed doing asset purchases aimed at Mortgage Backed Securities it is trying to drive down long term interest rates so that borrowers can access cheaper credit mainly to try to prop up the housing market, which could lead to more jobs. That premise ...(more)
2 votes
There is, in theory, no limit to how high in price any stock may go. Price alone is not a determining factor in the future price of any stock. Look at Berkshire Hathaway, it has gone from $7225 in February 1990 to over $130,150 today, an annualized rate ...(more)
3 votes
Mark Teerlinck Level 12
It appears earnings estimates were met, yet FB had a rough day today with even more selling in the after hours session. We also have restricted stock holders rapidily approaching their 90 day window, which could equal even more downside movement for ...(more)
2 votes
Eric Level 17
I expect to see margins increasing on a per user level, but subscriber growth slowing and user utilization slowing as well.
2 votes
Let me present it to you like this. You don't see very many old currency traders. With very few exceptions, they tend to burn out young and quit the business. The shot-termism and the wild volatility take their toll on you over time. Frankly, currency ...(more)
2 votes
George Cones, JD Level 20
Jeffrey is right. FOREX investing is used for hedging, for example, to take risk out of a contract to deliver goods or raw materials . Betting on FOREX is like any other speculative venture, you may win or lose, but the house always takes its share.
  • posts per page