Back to top



Advisor Services

  • Financial Planning
    • -Estate Planning
    • -Comprehensive Financial Planning
    • -Retirement Planning
    • -College Planning
    • -Charitable Planning
    • -Other Financial Planning
    • -Tax Planning
  • Pension Consulting
    • -401k
    • -Other Pension Consulting
  • Accounting & Tax
    • -Tax Advice
    • -Other Tax


Funds Used With Clients

There are no funds listed for this advisor at this time.

Firm Client types



No timeline events available.
Employer Years Dates
C.L. Sheldon & Company 10 years, 7 months Sep 2009 - Present
USAF 27 years, 1 month Jun 1983 - Jul 2010

Designations & Memberships

  • Financial Planning Association
    Financial Planning Association
    The Financial Planning Association (FPA®) is the largest membership organization for personal financial planning experts in the U.S. and includes professionals from all backgrounds and business models. We help connect thousands of consumers to competent and ethical planners who uphold the FPA Standard of Care.
  • National Association of Enrolled Agents
    National Association of Enrolled Agents
    The National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) is comprised of over 11,000 independent, licensed tax professionals. NAEA is dedicated to helping its members maintain the highest level of knowledge, skills and professionalism in all areas of taxation, so that members may most effectively represent the needs of their clients.
  • National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
    National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
    NAPFA, the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors, is the nation’s leading organization dedicated to the advancement of Fee-Only comprehensive financial planning. Consumers and the media look to NAPFA for access to financial advisors who meet the highest standards for professional competency, comprehensive financial planning and Fee-Only compensation.
  • Accredited Investment Fiduciary
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary
    The Accredited Investment Fiduciary® (AIF®) designation represents a thorough knowledge of and ability to apply the fiduciary practices.
  • Certified Financial Planner
    Certified Financial Planner
    A standard certification for advisors, designees are exposed to nearly 100 topics on integrated financial planning. Major topics include, but not limited to: insurance, employee benefits, securities, state and federal tax, estate tax and planning, asset protection, etc.
  • Enrolled Agent
    Enrolled Agent
    An Enrolled Agent is a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and is empowered by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers.

Articles and Answers

Insights by Curtis Sheldon

5 Resolutions for 2015
Published 2015-01-15 08:57:51
Save Taxes! Increase Your Retirement Nest Egg
Published 2014-10-23 10:10:02
MyRA...We'll See
Published 2014-01-29 13:48:55
Left Overs: What To Do With Unused 529 Funds
Published 2014-01-22 06:19:50
Hey, Hey, Hey. Goodbye!
Published 2014-01-02 06:23:36
4 Sure-Fire Ways to Cut Your Taxes
Published 2013-11-21 06:08:54
4 Sure-Fire Ways to Save On Your Income Taxes
Published 2013-10-26 08:19:21
TSP and the Government Shutdown
Published 2013-10-01 12:11:08
TSP G Fund: The Andidote for FED Tapering?
Published 2013-08-28 06:24:01
What Difference Does It Make?
Published 2013-08-17 12:27:17
Stake Your Claim
Published 2013-08-08 03:56:33
Yet Another College Expense?
Published 2013-08-05 06:28:15
Transfer Your IRA to TSP?
Published 2013-07-24 08:51:56
Dow to Hit 60,000 in 20 Years!
Published 2013-07-19 13:35:26
Sell Your Rental House...Skip the Taxes
Published 2013-07-12 07:09:33
Is it Time to Re-Look at Muni's?
Published 2013-06-08 05:57:24
Where Does My Child Live?
Published 2013-04-30 01:50:36
Use Pods to Reduce Your Probate Expenses
Published 2013-04-21 14:01:48
Ruminating on Roth
Published 2013-04-12 05:59:00
A Long-Term Care Insurance Primer
Published 2013-03-07 14:08:20
The AMT: Yet Another Tax Code
Published 2013-02-20 03:40:28
Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz
Published 2013-02-05 12:40:07
It's Phishing...I Mean Tax Season Again
Published 2013-01-24 06:22:05
Buyer Beware...Again
Published 2013-01-21 08:11:41
Yup, It's Time for Resolutions Again
Published 2013-01-02 06:36:32
Some Certainty Despite the Fiscal Cliff
Published 2012-12-31 10:13:21
Refinancing Your Home? Beware the AMT
Published 2012-12-30 13:44:52
    *Articles are published by advisors without compensation.


    Ask a financial questionAsk a question
    I am starting a new individual retirement account and looking for a low-fee account?
    You have some different options, depending on how much money you plan to contribute.You could open an IRA and roll the funds into it. Then you could contribute up to $5,500 per year to the IRA. This would be the simplest cheapest solution. You could set up an IRA with any mutual fund or on-line ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    What do fee-only financial planners charge?
    Rachel,They are not exactly the same thing.Fee-only means that the advisor doesn't receive any compensation other than that received from the client. That compensation could be calculated as some percent of Assets Under Management (AUM), a flat retainer, or an hourly fee. Normally the first two ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    I have a 401k from my previous company which is still being managed by them. I am not sure if I should rollover my 401k to my new company and get someone else to manage it. Can you please provide me with some options I can explore.?
    Also, as a result of the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, you now have the option to convert your 401(k) to a Roth 401(k). As mentioned above, consult with a qualified, objective advisor to see if this is a good idea for you....  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    What are Independent Advisors seeking in Real Estate Alternative Investments?
    Robert - I'll see if I can answer your question. There are two or more reasons to consider Real Estate as part of a balanced portfolio. I'll hit two.First, Real Estate is generally not closely correlated to the Stock Market. Under Modern Portfolio Theory an advisor attempts to build a portfolio ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    Scott, I'm not sure this site can help you with that question. I would contact the employer who had the 401(k) plan. Your employer (or previous employer) should be able to point you in the right direction....  (more)
    Answered Dec 2012
    Can I borrow a loan on my 401k?
    Thomas,It will depend on your plan's specific provisions, but a loan against your 401(k) is possible if you are still employed with the plan sponsor.Whether it is advisable to do so or not, is another matter....  (more)
    Answered Apr 2013
    Can my mother-in-law (not currently employed) transfer a defined benefit plans (from a past employer) in to an IRA/Roth? As she's not working, but my father-in-law is, can they open this jointly so that they he can contribute to it?
    David,Your question has two parts, I'll answer the second first. Your in-laws cannot have a joint retirement account (nor can anyone else). That does not stop either of them from starting a Traditional or Roth IRA as long as the family unit has "earned" income. There may be limits on how much th...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    My wife and I have relatively polarized earnings, should we be paying a lot more in taxes since we were just married?
    David,Your financial advisor is essentially correct. Comments on the specific amounts would require more information, but here is what is going on...What you are experiencing is caused by the fact that your employers don't know about each spouse's income. We'll use your wife's income as an examp...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    For the last few years when we do our taxes AMT gets triggered. Been to several accountants and they all say that there isn't much we can do to lessen the impact. We heard that a tax advisor or an enrolled agent might be more knowledgeable. Suggestions?
    Ana, I don't know anyone in that area. You might check some of the professional organizations to find someone who can help. The National Association of Enrolled Agents has a "Find an EA" function on their website and The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants has a "Find a CPA" functi...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    I am working full time for a company who doesn't offer a retirement plan, can I contribute to my own Solo 401K?
    You would need self employment income (i.e. profits) or have given yourself a salary (if a S-Corp) to contribute to a solo 401(k).You CAN however contribute to a Traditional IRA which would accomplish pretty much the same thing as a solo 401(k) except you are limited to $5,500. If you are married,...  (more)
    Answered Mar 2014
    I am a recent 1099 Contractor, with limited current deductions. Would a SEP IRA be my best bet?
    A SEP-IRA does allow you to contribute more towards your retirement than a "normal" IRA. You can contribute up to 20% of your adjusted net income (from the business) or $52,000 whichever is less.It is a good say whether it is "best" would require more information....  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    Can i max out my 401k and a roth ira and a tradtitional ira?
    Jacob,You have one too many ands in your question and there are a couple of caveats. You can max out your 401(k) and a Roth OR a Traditional IRA. Let me explain...Your 401(k) and IRA are essentially disconnected. So you can max out your 401(k) and contribute $5,500 to IRAs (plus $1,000 if you ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    How do I determine how much I should be donating to charity?
    Sam,While I never advise that you should allow the "tax tail" to wag the dog, if you contribute more than IRS limits in a single year, you may not be able to deduct the entire amount on your taxes. The amount is limited by your Adjusted Gross you are no longer working, that number may ...  (more)
    Answered Mar 2013
    How can I borrow from my 401 K plan?
    Romika,I would start by talking to your HR department at work. The Summary Plan Description (which they should have) will state whether you can and how you do take loans from your 401(k).With that said, loans from 401(k) plans should be very carefully considered before they are taken. Borrowing ...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    I have a 401k with a big companies but iam not seeing the matching parts why not?
    Several large companies cut back on profit sharing, which can be used for 401(k) matching in response to decreased profits as a result of the recession. Hopefully we'll see them start the matching up again as we climb out of the recession....  (more)
    Answered Dec 2012
    I am a young Federal employee that puts 5% of salary into TSP. I am also in graduate school and am paying out of pocket. Would it make more sense to allocate more $ to the TSP and take out a student loan for the grad school?
    Laura,Does your agency offer education benefits? You may be able to get the help you need without having to take a loan.Also, you didn't specify, but since you are young (and presumably in a low tax bracket), take a hard look at contributing to Roth-TSP...but make sure you also consider matching ...  (more)
    Answered Apr 2013
    Is Group Variable Universal Life a good retirement savings vehicle If you want to minimize taxes in retirement?
    I'm sure you'll get several opinions on this question. Without knowing your exact situation, but only general information here are some thoughts...I think you should buy insurance to transfer the risk of pre-mature death or a known expense upon your death to an insurance company. If you're not...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2014
    I'm looking to take out $40,000.00 from my 401k to Purchase a house which will become my primary residence.
    I would add that if your employer made matching contributions, those funds will be subject to taxation. As mentioned above, talk with your plan administrator to find out exactly what balances you have....  (more)
    Answered Nov 2013
    Is it worth it to itemize my charitable donations on my taxes?
    Yes and No. For it to be beneficial to itemize, your total itemized deductions must exceed your "standard deduction". All taxpayers can take the "standard deduction". The amount varies, but for 2013 for married couples the amount is $12,200 for a single person the amount is $6,100.So, unless yo...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2014
    For the last few years when we do our taxes AMT gets triggered. Been to several accountants and they all say that there isn't much we can do to lessen the impact. We heard that a tax advisor or an enrolled agent might be more knowledgeable. Suggestions?
    Ana, Like Helen I'm an Enrolled Agent, so I am biased. I think the key is to find someone who specializes in taxes and tax planning. Often with proper planning AMT can be minimized (once the year ends you can't do much about controlling the AMT). But if you are subject to AMT, a good advisor who ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    I'm a Grad Student soon to graduate and recently came into a good deal of money, where do I start?!
    Kate,One thing to consider, that a lot of us don't, is the establishment of an emergency fund. You say you will earn more in the future, but there is still the possibility that you may end up in a situation where you need to live without income from a job for a temporary period.While I agree that...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2013
    How do I find out if I still have a 401k account from 1996?
    The best bet is to contact your previous employer. I'd start with the HR department....  (more)
    Answered Nov 2013
    1099-INT & 1099-DIVs?
    It looks like you are ready to go......  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    Have almost eight thousand got fired how much do I get back the company matched me?
    Depending on your company's specific plan you may not be vested in the company match. Vesting is when the money becomes yours. You should be able to determine if you were vested by reviewing the Summary Plan Document....  (more)
    Answered Apr 2014
    How much do I have in my 401k and how can I pull it out?
    Daniel,I would start by talking to your current or previous employer (the one who sponsored the 401(k) plan). I'd contact HR. Another option might be the Summary Plan Document (if you have it) which should explain how to make withdrawals or whether they are allowed if you are still working. Also...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    When rolling over a 401k to IRA is there a waiting period before you can make withdrawls?
    As long as your 401(k) is not a Roth, you can begin withdrawals immediately....  (more)
    Answered Sep 2014
    I have 2 401Ks that I need to roll over-how can I get this done. I also want to increase my contribution. HELP?
    I would talk to your HR department, but here are the basics.Establish an account to roll the money into (probably a Traditional IRA)Complete forms with your 401(k) providers to transfer the moneyIf you are still employed at one of the 401(k) sponsors, you may not be able to roll over that accou...  (more)
    Answered Mar 2014
    Who do i speak to when inquiring about my (old) 401K?
    I would start by talking to the Human Resources department at the University of Rhode Island. They should be able to point you in the right direction....  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    When a mutual fund achieves profits, it distributes these profits to shareholders as dividends. Yet the distribution is done by increasing the number of shares and reducing the share price. Thus, leaving the share owner with no loss or gain. So why (how) is a dividend considered a profit?
    Clarence - The issue you've discovered becomes even more critical in December as that is when most funds distribute Capital Gains and Dividends. If you buy before the distribution you'll owe taxes on that distribution. However, if you wait until after the distribution, you won't have a tax bill. ...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2013
    If i borrowed money from my 401k and still owed them. Will they still loan me what is left and im unemplyed right now?
    I'm sorry but I don't have good news for you. If you are unemployed you can't get a loan from your 401(k). In fact, if you took out a loan and are now no longer employed by the company, you must repay the loan or it will be treated as a distribution subject to taxes and potential penalty. ...  (more)
    Answered Mar 2015
    How soon can I file for tax refund? Anything special I need to be aware of?
    To answer your first question, the IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan 31st (later than normal due to the government shutdown).It is hard to say with your exact situation but unless you itemize your deductions chartable donations and work expenses will most likely NOT be deductible.You may...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    What is the best model to determine the total return and tax implications of investing in a 529 college savings plan vs. lunmping all money into a consolidated investment portfolio.?
    Another thing to factor into your decision...Many states allow for deductions against state income tax for contributions to their (state sponsored) 529 plan. Depending on your state and its income tax rate, this could add to the value of a 529 plan versus a taxable account....  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    My 22 year old elder son, full time student, has to file separately as he has been working part-time since Nov. 2013?
    Most likely (based on what you have stated) you will be able to claim your elder son as a dependent. You will not include his income on your tax return. Your son will file a tax return and on that return he will indicate that he is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return and include his i...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2014
    How much can I contribute to an IRA? I just turned 50 years old.
    It depends on what you mean by "just turned 50".You can still contribute to an IRA for 2013. So, if you turned 50 before December 31st, you can contribute $6,500 ($5,500 + $1,000 catch-up) for a 2013 IRA. If you didn't turn 50 before the end of the year, your contribution for 2013 would be limite...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2014
    Is Thrift Savings Plan different than 401K ?
    If you are talking about the US Government Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) they are essentially the same. Contributions are limited in both types of accounts to 17,500 per year with catch-up contributions of $5,500 for those age 50 and over.You generally may not take distributions without penalties bef...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    Take my losses to wipe out taxes?
    You do have the ability to shelter gains by taking losses. Just remember that short-term losses go against short-term gains first and long-term losses go against long-term gains first. Then they are netted. If your losses exceed your gains you can deduct up to $3,000 against ordinary income. If ...  (more)
    Answered Dec 2013
    Hello. I will like to find out of my 401k. I will like to know when was the last time my employer contribute to my 401k and how much is my total accumulated up to present? Thank you?
    I would recommend that you talk to your employer's HR department. They should be able to answer that question for you or direct you to the plan administrator who has that information....  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    Can you give suggestions on Financial Planners in the st. Charles / St. Louis Missouri area ?
    You can find Fee-Only Advisors in your area through the NAPFA website. ...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2013
    I a rollover considered the same thing as a contribution?
    Matthew,Moving money from a Traditional IRA to a Roth (and paying the tax) is normally called a conversion.While biased, I agree with Ted. Engage an EA or CPA to assist with your taxes....  (more)
    Answered Apr 2013
    I want to know if I should consolidate my three 401k plans.
    You have a few options. You can...Consolidate, like you mention. This makes sense if your current 401(k) has acceptable investment choices and equal or lower expenses than your old 401(k)s. It also has the benefit of simplifying your life...only one account/one statementRoll your two "old" ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    How do you deal with an IRS notice stating that you owe taxes on a trust fund disbursement that you did not receive?
    You should have received a form K-1 from the trust. I would consider talking to a local Enrolled Agent to deal with IRS. EA's along with CPAs and Attorneys can represent you in front of the IRS. If your stepmother did indeed do what you suspect, I would contact an attorney and talk about your opt...  (more)
    Answered Dec 2013
    Alimony in MSA says "payments should not be Taxable to wife and deductible by husband" I being audited.
    I highly recommend you talk to a local Enrolled Agent about the tax issues involved here. I can't say for sure because I don't have the details.Generally, according to the Code, alimony is deductible by the payer and taxable income to the recipient. However, there are exceptions and one of the e...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2014
    Can I rollover my 401k from my former employer into an IRA and then withdraw the money without a penalty?
    It depends...First of all, the Roth funds rolled from a 401(k) will be subject to a "new" 5 year restriction. So any earnings that you withdraw will be subject to taxes and penalties.Second, pre-tax would be subject to taxes and penalty (assuming you are younger than 59 1/2).You might want to re...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    I want to borrow to buy a house?
    I'm generally not in favor of 401(k) loans. Remember, the money in your 401(k) is pre-tax and you will be repaying the loan in post tax dollars. Basically, the money you use to pay back the loan (and interest) will be taxed twice. Also, if you leave the company, for any reason, you have to pay ba...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    Some weeks I have 70-78 hours in a week. should I exempt more than myself during those weeks?
    I think you're talking about the exemptions on your W-4. Your employer should be calculating your withholding based on the exemptions and your actual income. So...unless you have a history of owing money, another part-time job or a spouse that earns money too, you most likely don't need to do anyt...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2014
    Do any of the Home Depot Future Builder 401-K core funds have compound earnings?
    David,Mutual Funds pay earnings as either dividends or capital gains. If you reinvest the earnings you will earn more dividends and capital gains on the earnings. This is the essence of compound earnings. Most likely your 401(k) is composed of Mutual Funds and you will have the opportunity to re...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    I am a young (26 y.o.) employee of the Federal Government. I am currently contributing 5% of my salary to TSP. What funds should I be in? I am in G now, and I know that this is far too conservative for my age, but I'm confused with the other funds (CSI and L). Please help!
    Laura,Just one other thing as a point of reference. Realize that the G fund is a very unique fund (it owns bonds sold only to TSP). Because of these bonds, the G fund can provide medium to long-term interest rates without principal risk. To my knowledge there aren't many (or any) other bond fund...  (more)
    Answered Apr 2013
    I just received a job offer and am wondering if the 401K plan is good or not?
    Don't forget the tax consequences either. If you contribute $1.00 you'll get a tax reduction of some amount. Let's assume you're in the 25% bracket so you get $0.25 back on your taxes. So, you've really only invested $0.75, but your employer is going to give you $0.50. When it is all said and do...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    How do i withdraw from my 401k?
    Deborah,I would start by talking to the HR department at your previous employer. They should be able to put you in touch with the Administrator of your 401(k). The administrator of the 401(k) will be able to set up withdrawals. If you have the Summary Plan Document, it should explain what types ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    I have a 403b plan with TIAA-CREF, should I move it to an IRA when I retire in four years or leave it where it is?
    It is a least worth it to consider moving to an IRA. Some factors to consider...Are there asset classes that I would like to access that I can get to through an IRA and not my 403(b)?How do the expenses compare? Will my expenses go down if I transfer to an IRA?Do the expenses I pay to the...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2014
    Trying to confirm basis for multiple mutual funds purchased over time in a college savings trust?
    There is a service I haven't used but have heard good things about. Based on information you enter, the site calculates your basis. You can look it up at  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    If I wanted to withdraw from a 401k to pay off my mortgage, what is there to consider beyond the taxes and penalties?
    You should consider liquidity. Once you put money into the house it is very difficult to get it out. That is why you see all the Reverse Mortgage advertisements on TV.If you are concerned about the risk inside your 401(k) consider an asset allocation that will reduce the overall risk of the portf...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    How do i find my account?
    I would check with your HR department...  (more)
    Answered May 2014
    How do i check my account balance if i HAVE THE PLAN NUMBER?
    I would start by talking to the HR department at your employer. They should be able to tell you how to access your account through the administrator of the plan....  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    Should i increase my 401k contributions on my quarterly commission checks?
    If you are an employee (which you most likely are since you have access to a 401(k) plan) your taxes are based on the total amount of your income. Income from salary or commission is ordinary income and taxed as such. What you may be seeing is that your commissions are withheld at a higher rate.S...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2014
    As a plan administrator, how much Fiduciary responsibility do I have above and beyond obtaining a plan financial adviser and following their recommendations?
    Angela,If this is an employee directed account (401(k)) there is a safe harbor for the Plan Sponsor (not sure if that is your role or not) under Section 404(c) that protects the Sponsor if the plan offers the right selection of funds and the sponsor informs the employees of the intent to take advan...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    ESOP rules?
    It is hard to say for sure without the plan document. However, I can tell you there are circumstances where the employer can pay the proceeds out over 5 years. I'm not sure if that applies to you or not, but most likely it is "legal". Also, payments begin based on the "plan year" which would most...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    How do you get acess take your 401k?
    Check with HR at your employer. They should be able to tell you who the Third Party Administrator is for your 401(k) and how to contact them....  (more)
    Answered Sep 2014
    I am currently 38 and do not have any retirement accounts yet. Which retirement plan will be best for me now?
    Your tax picture influences this decision, so you will want to consider the following.If you are eligible to participate in the 401(k) plan and chose not to, then you may not be able to deduct contributions to a Traditional IRA. If this is your situation then the 401(k) or Roth IRA make more sen...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2014
    Auction rate muni's didn't work as planned. What assures that the market price of ETF's be trade near net asset value?
    As with most investments there is no guarantee. While most ETFs are designed to trade near their underlying value, prices can and will vary. Increased market volatility increases the likelihood that the ETF's price will vary from the net asset value....  (more)
    Answered Aug 2013
    I receive a retirement direct deposit monthly. Is there a survivor benefit for my wife, and if so what percentage?
    Your wife may be eligible for a survivor benefit. If you have a qualified pension plan your wife would have needed to waive her eligibility for a survivor benefit.The bottom line is that you need to check the documents for your specific plan. I would contact your previous employer's HR department...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    I have a Employee Stock Ownership Plan and Trust. Not sure what is my net step, as far as my investment is concerned. This is my daughters email address phone #505-363-9844 She is my beneficiary.
    Berlinda,Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you or your daughter (if you have empowered her) contact your employer to determine your account status. I am guessing you are retired and if all of your investments are in your previous employer's stock you might want to take a look at...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    For my target retirement fund should I go with a pre-tax or roth allocation? How aggressive should I be with my 401K?
    You're most likely in the 15% marginal tax rate, so a Roth could be a good option for you. If you suspect that your tax rate will be higher in retirement then Roth's are usually a good idea.Check and see if your 401(k) plan provider provides any investor education. The information (and potentiall...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2014
    What's the best way to calculate how much long-term care insurance coverage I should buy?
    All good answers here. You might find this resource helpful. ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    I am a KBR employee. Where in this website can I enroll?
    You can't enroll on this website. I would recommend that you talk to the folks in Human Resources or Personnel at KBR to find out how to enroll....  (more)
    Answered Apr 2015
    Professionals with which financial services designations (e.g., CFP) are the best to seek out at the time of retirement?
    One thing I would add to this discussion. A way to check out a designation. To check out the value of a designations:Google the designationGo to the desination's websiteYou'll read how great the designation isClick on the link that says, "Become an XYZ"Read the requirements to earn the desig...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2013
    What's moving AMZN after the poor earnings they JUST posted?
    I agree with Gary. For most investors and investment advisors too, predicting future market movements of a single asset or even asset class is extremely difficult.It is better to select an asset allocation plan that balances risk and reward to allow you to reach your goals. Studies have shown tha...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    My wife and I work in same company. Can we both have separate life ins. policies and nominate ech other as beneficiary ?
    Yes. The owner of a Life Insurance Policy (you) can designate his/her spouse as a beneficiary. The fact that you work for the same company does not enter into the "equation"....  (more)
    Answered Aug 2014
    What can I do now to minimize the impact of the new investment tax?
    Be careful with the coversion to Roth IRA. While the transaction itself is not subject to the ObamaCare Medicare Surtax, it does increase AGI which could subject investment income that would not normally be subject to the Surtax to the tax....  (more)
    Answered Apr 2013
    I am new to this 401k plan, iam a server at ocharleys. i am interested in doing this but where do i start?
    Start by talking to the HR folks and ask them for information about the 401(k) plan. Make sure they include the Summary Plan Document in the information they provide you. Take a look through the documents and most importantly start contributing to the plan.Your employer might have some tools to ...  (more)
    Answered Apr 2014
    I want to withdraw the money in my account?
    There should be contact information on the statement you received. Contact the company there....  (more)
    Answered Apr 2015
    Can funds be drawn from 401k after age 55 for hadship?
    Funds can be withdrawn for a hardship, however age 55 has no effect on the taxes/penalties. In fact, if the employee is younger than age 59 1/2 penalties will apply.Also, your employer is not required to allow hardship withdrawals, so you'll need to check the Summary Plan Description to see if the...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2013
    Start by talking to your HR department at work. They should be able to point you in the right direction....  (more)
    Answered Aug 2014
    What happens to a deceased 401k with a lost beneficiary form?
    First of all, you probably should talk to a lawyer as estate law varies. Here are my thoughts...Your mother died intestate (without a will) so her estate will be distributed in accordance with state law.Since there is no beneficiary designated, the account will transfer to the estate.Unfortunate...  (more)
    Answered May 2014
    Given present market condition, is it advisable to change my current 401k plan selection of stable value to stock/bonds?
    Timing the market is always challenging. I can't answer your question specifically but I can give you a couple of thoughts.If your time horizon is quite away into the future (5 or more years) then don't worry too much about current prices.If your time horizon is close, then stocks may not be...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2014
    Where do I find my statement?
    I would talk to the HR department at your job. They should be able to help....  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    Safe Habor 401(k) I would like to build a primary residence. I'm 66, retired and my BMO fund manager doesn't know about safe harbor. I heard that, under certain cercumstances, 401(k) can be used towards building a primary residence and Safe Harbor would be the vehicle. Do you have online info
    Neville,What you are thinking about is a hardship withdrawal. Safe harbor has to do with the type of matching contributions your employer makes.Hardship withdrawals are allowed by law, but employers are not obligated to offer them. They can be used for the purchase of a primary residence. If yo...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    I want to print out my most recent 401k statement, where would I do this at?
    I would talk to your HR department at work. They should be able to give you information about how you can access your account information....  (more)
    Answered Sep 2014
    When someone 65 years old opens an IRA with lets say $2000 to start, with a brokerage firm.
    There are a lot of variables in regards to IRAs.First, you (or your spouse) must have earned income to contribute to an IRA. If you get a W-2 at the end of the year, you have earned income.Second, if you open a Traditional IRA you will most likely receive a tax deduction. If this is the case, th...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2014
    I worked for Maronda from 2005-2007 and i have the last statement that was given to me.
    I would start by talking with the HR department at Maronda. As another option, your statement may have a "contact us" number where you can call and get the Third Party Administrator to update your information and get you updated statements....  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    How do I get a statement?
    Assuming you're talking about a 401(k) statement, I would start by talking with the HR department at work. If you don't have an HR department, then I would talk to your manager and ask who the 401(k) custodian is (who keeps the money). You should then be able to call the custodian and request a st...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2014
    If I am fully vested, quit my job and caah out my 401k will I receive the employer matching contributions if under 55?
    Matthew,As I understand your question you are trying to decide whether it is worth it to stick around another year until you vest. Your concern is if you will lose matching funds if you are vested and younger than a certain age. The short answer is once you are fully vested, the funds belong to y...  (more)
    Answered Jun 2014
      *Answers are submitted by advisors without compensation.

      Licenses & Conducts

      U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
      • license status
      • disclosures
      • as of date
        Mar 24, 2020
      • license status
        Not registered
      • disclosures
      • as of date
      Review the status and details of the disclosures noted above using the SEC's Investment Advisor Public Disclosure website:


      C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC

      Last updated on March 23, 2020
        • $31.7M
          Total Assets Under Management
        • N/A
          Total Assets Under Advisement
        • 250
        • $126.8K
          Estimated Average Account Balance


      Fee Only Advisor
      This advisor has certified that they are compensated soley by their clients, and do not accept commisions or compensation of any kind based on the products they recommend.

      Types of Compensation Arrangements