Back to top

Herbert N Glass

401(k) Plan Fiduciary Reviews, Procedures, Training and Guidance, Stay Out of Trouble - Call Us!

Glass Retirement Strategies, Inc.

Bingham Farms


Contact Me



Advisor Services

  • Pension Consulting
    • -401k
    • -Defined Benefit
    • -Other Pension Consulting
  • Portfolio Management
    • -Individuals and/or Small Businesses
  • Other
    • -Selection of Other Advisors


Funds Used With Clients

There are no funds listed for this advisor at this time.

Firm Client types



No timeline events available.
Employer Years Dates
Glass Retirement Strategies, Inc. 10 years, 8 months Jul 2009 - Present
Securities Service Network, Inc. 19 years Feb 2001 - Present
Securities Service Network, Inc. (13318) 11 years, 5 months Feb 2001 - Jul 2012
The Glass Freedman Company 38 years, 8 months Apr 1976 - Dec 2014

Designations & Memberships

  • American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries
    American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries
    The American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries is the premier educator and policy advocate for over 7,500 career professionals actively engaged in the retirement plan industry.
  • Financial Services Institute
    Financial Services Institute
    Founded in 2004, FSI is the only advocacy organization working on behalf of independent broker-dealers and independent financial advisors. Our vision is that all individuals have access to competent and affordable financial advice, products, and services delivered by a growing network of independent financial advisors affiliated with independent financial services firms. Our mission is to create a healthier regulatory environment for independent broker-dealers and their affiliated independent financial advisors through aggressive and effective advocacy, education, and public awareness. Our strategy supports our vision and mission through robust involvement in FINRA governance, constructive engagement in the regulatory process, and effective influence on the legislative process.
  • Certified Financial Gerontologist
    Certified Financial Gerontologist
    Now renamed "Registered Financial Gerontologist" by the AIFG. Designees utilize a broad range of teachings from biology, psychology, sociology and demography to understand the lifelong wealth span issues and aspirations of aging individuals and their families.
  • Certified Financial Planner
    Certified Financial Planner
    A standard certification for advisors, designees are exposed to nearly 100 topics on integrated financial planning. Major topics include, but not limited to: insurance, employee benefits, securities, state and federal tax, estate tax and planning, asset protection, etc.
  • Certified Pension Consultant
    Certified Pension Consultant
    Licensees have a broad understanding of fields including plan design of DC and DB plans, coverage and nondiscrimination, distribution and loans, ethics and fiduciary responsibilities.
  • Chartered Financial Consultant
    Chartered Financial Consultant
    Invididuals holding this designation understand the fundamentals of financial planning, including income tax, insurance, investment and estate planning.
  • Chartered Life Underwriter
    Chartered Life Underwriter
    A prestigious certification for advisors, designees are exposed to nearly 100 topics on integrated financial planning. Major topics include, but not limited to: insurance, employee benefits, securities, state and federal tax, estate tax and planning, asset protection, etc.

Articles and Answers

Insights by Herbert Glass

    *Articles are published by advisors without compensation.


    Ask a financial questionAsk a question
    When does doing an in-service?
    Interesting question! But, before I would move your money from the 401(k) Plan to an IRA, and assuming you can based on the plan document provisions and you having already checked with your employer, I would recommend the following:Pick which IRA investments you would choose which would make up yo...  (more)
    Answered Dec 2012
    Should I convert my traditional 401k to a Roth 401k because of the new fiscal cliff deal?
    Yes, because you are very young and your Current tax bracket is probably very low, I think that you are in a perfect position to make use of the 401k Roth benefits. In fact, you should consider not only rolling your pretax 401(k) monies to the Roth 401(k) account, but also, you should consider makin...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    We're looking at Great West vs Mass Mutual as a 401(k) provider. Any advantages to one vs the other?
    Mary Ann,Without knowing anything about your company, your objectives, or your investment experience, it is difficult for me or anyone else to know your service and investment product needs and therefore which company would be better for you and your employees. Furthermore, the service charges, the...  (more)
    Answered Dec 2012
    I have a 401k with American funds. I used to work for Gulf coast health care. I now want to make and early withdrawl and cash out my 401k. Howcan I do this via the internet?
    Francisco,If you no longer work for the company that sponsors the 401(k) plan that you want to get your money out of, it is likely that it should not be a problem. Only if the plan has written restrictions in the plan document and it prohibits you from getting your money just yet, distributions of ...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2012
    I am in a defined benefit plan with my employer (government). Are voluntary contributions tax deductible?
    Generally voluntary participant contributions are not deductible if made to a governmental defined-benefit pension plan, or any other defined-benefit pension plan. The only plans that a voluntary contribution made by a participant would be deductible are those made to a 401(k) plan, 403B plan, or a ...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2012
    I'm fixing to pay $500.00 to my ex-husbands lawyer for a QDRO because judge awarded me half of his 401k. My ex refuses to show me a recent statement from t rowe price showing me the balance in the account. Will the plan administrator give me this information?
    The Plan Administrator will probably not show you a copy of your ex-husbands T Rowe Price statement. Such information would have to be requested by your attorney to your ex-husbands attorney. But the way a QDRO is handled, depending on the plan document provisions, when the QDRO is written and appr...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2012
    What kind of documentation will the DOL accept in determining fee reasonableness in retirement plans?
    Hi Michael,I am happy to answer your question, and my answer is based on a seminar that was sponsored locally (Detroit, Michigan area) by ASPPA, just three weeks ago as well as my many years of experience. The speaker ("she") was from the DOL's regional office and I had the pleasure to chat with h...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2013
    I need a statement for my 401k retirement?
    By law, you are supposed to get at least a quarterly statement of your account if you direct your own investments. On the other hand , if your 401k investments are invested by the Trustee of the 401(k) plan, then you are entitled to an annual statement of your 401(k) account. If you have not been ge...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    How do I find out if I am a beneficiary on my deceased brothers 401k?
    Hi Becky,Your question is a good one and certainly simple for all to understand. However, depending on your brothers marital status at the time of his death, whether or not he filled out a Declaration of Beneficiary form or not before his death, and whether or not he had just a Will or a Will and T...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2013
    Can the money be rolled over to an IRA that I can start contributing to?
    To answer your main question hat is: "Can the money be rolled over to an IRA that I can start contributing to?" Please allow me to clarify your question first, so that you will know if I am understanding the question you want answered. I believe your question is, "can you have one IRA account that y...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    My former employer is no longer in business,how do i know if i have 401k or pension plan and how much?
    It is unfortunate that you lost track of your retirement plan benefits after you left your former employer. Actually, they had an obligation to send you periodic information about the plan, but if you moved and did not keep them informed of your address, it would be understandable that they could no...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    Can I name my living trust as a beneficiary of my 401k?
    Yes, you can name your living trust as the beneficiary of a 401(k) plan account. However, if you do, you must be absolutely sure that the trust meets 100% of the requirements that a trust must meet to allow your beneficiaries to enjoy all of the tax advantages that they would enjoy if they were name...  (more)
    Answered Jun 2012
    How can i find my 401k plan and cash it in?
    Very simply, contact your former employer and ask for the information you want. If the plan allows distributions given your age and years of service, then askthat they send you the paperwork to inquire about the value of your account and request plan distribution paperwork and instructions regarding...  (more)
    Answered Jun 2012
    Where to put my retirement money, at the age of retirement.
    Rita, As you know, at your age you have to be very careful what you do regarding investing your money for your retirement. Unlike a younger person, you can not afford to make a mistake primarily because you will not have enoughy time to recover any losses you may experience. So, first I need to sa...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    If my employer files for bankruptcy will my 401k fund be frozen for any amount of time?
    The bankruptcy should not result in your account being frozen. However, because bankruptcy can cause a void in the ongoing operating of normal plan functions that require your company and/or its officers to do certain things, I would suggest that if you qualify to take your money out of the plan (li...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2012
    Where do i go to get a 1099r form?
    If you are supposed to get a 1099R from a company, person or Trust that you have received either money, or "kind" that represents earnings to you, it is the party that is considered the payor to you who has the responsiblility for filling the 1099Rs out and then sending copies to you, generally by J...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    I retired last year from the Columbus Ohio Division of Police and I would like to find out what my total investment is in Giant Eagle's 401k plan. I worked as a special duty police officer in their store and am enrolled in the plan. I still get letters from the 401k provider, but never any investmen
    Troy, it should be very simple for you to get the information you need. Just contact your employer Giant Eagle and ask for what you need, or call the company that is holding your 401(k) monies. The laws are quite specific regarding what you must be given and by when. If you do not get the informati...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2012
    I'm trying to update my Profit Sharing Plan shares named: General Investment Portfolio N/W Nationwide Indexed Fixed F Please direct me in the right direction, website, telephone number, email address, whatever to get me an update.
    This sounds like a Nationwide Fixed Indexed Annuity. Although I did not find any specific informaton for a series F, here is their telephone number for you to call to see if they can help you. 1-877-669-6877 It would be great if you can give them your policy number. That will help them to determi...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    ... in a company 401k.(60% company stock,40% target date retirement plan. Should I cancel the target date plan, and re-allocate (i.e. 20% company stock, 20% S&P, 20% bond, 10%cash etc? I have a separate Brokerage and also a high APY online savings.?
    Larry,With respect to you moving out of the target date fund, I would only advise moving it if you were not happy with the amount of risk that is inherrent in the specific target date fund is not to your liking. That is, if you want to be invested in a more risky fund then you can pick a target fun...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    "I have set up an inherited IRA (non-spousal). Dad passed on May 2011 . I was planning on taking the RMD before December this year. However, i have sufferd loses in the IRA of about 75%. I am 58 so instead of taking RMD on the original 37,000, do I just?
    If your Dad passed before he reached his "Required Beginning Date," that is the date that he would have had to begin taking RMDs himself, the first RMD that you must take begins the year after his passing. Therefore, you must begin taking your RMDs in this 2012 year and no later than December 31, 20...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2012
    How does a surety bond differ from liability insurance?
    Liability Insurance is insurance that provides protection to the insured party from claims arising from injuries or damage to other people or property.A surety bond is a bond issued by an entity on behalf of a second party, guaranteeing that the second party will fulfill an obligation or series of ...  (more)
    Answered Jun 2012
    Can you disclaim inherited pensions? Can Plan refuse this option?
    Yes, you usually can disclaim a pension or any qualified plan's distribution that you are named as a beneficiary. The funds will then go to the benifiary(ies) that are next "in line" to receive such benefits if you disclaim. Disclaimers are often used to bypass estate tax on the funds in your estate...  (more)
    Answered Jun 2012
    How do I change my 401k investments?
    Peggy,If we assume that your 401(k) plan has "participant directed accounts," you, as well as all other participants, have the right to direct the investments allocated to your account(s) in the plan. On the other hand, if your 401k plan's investments are considered to have only "trustee directed" ...  (more)
    Answered Jun 2012
    I am looking to open a Roth IRA but not sure if I should go with a discount brokerage or a mutual fund company. Can you suggest what may be the best option?
    Hi Jenny,The answer is quite simple because one of the options you mentioned, that is using a discount brokerage firm most likely has everything to offer you that a mutual fund has, but even more. So if you open your account at a discount brokerage firm, you can still buy Mutual Funds, but you will...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    Is there a way to search 401-k plans by things like state, number of participants and performance?
    Michael,Smart thinking! You can do what you are asking because the information you need to search through to get what you want is all public information. And as such, unless you want to build your own data base of info that you get from the government and then setup a filter so that just the info y...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    How can i know how much i have in my 401 k?
    It is the law that your employer must give you a statement of your account at least quarterly if the olan is "self directed." If it is Trustee directed, they must give you information at least annually. If your employer refuses to give you infomation about your account in the plan then I would sugge...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    I am 60 years old,and i am going to retire at the age of 62.When can i start saving for y retirement?
    James, please forgive me, but if you expect to live on a cash flow any larger than what you get from the Social Security Administration and you have not saved up much for retirement prior to now, then you have either a nestegg that was given to you, or you have been completely remiss with respect to...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    Do I need a separate rental insurance policy?
    Positively yes, you should have Renter's Insurance to cover all your belongings contained in your rented property. You should also make sure that you also carry liability insurance in case some visits your premises and gets hurt requiring medical help or results in their loss of income or any pain a...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    I like to take a loan from my 401K?
    If your 401(k) plan allows loans, you can probably apply for one. Many plans do have a first year charge for taking a loan to cover the paperwork and other administrative work to put the loan into place. also there may be an annual charge whille the loan is outstanding. However, not all plans have a...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    8955-SSA : Do we only count Code A entries to be reported on line 6a and 6b?
    In response to a letter sent by SunGard to the IRS, the IRS clarified certain instructions to the Form 8955-SSA. The IRS resolved a conflict between the line 6 instructions to the Form 8955-SSA and its electronic filing system (FIRE) error codes. The issue was whether a preparer inserted on lines 6a...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    Should I purchase an Annuity for my retirement?
    Without more information about your financial situation and knowing your goals and objectives, it is premature to answer your question with a simple yes or no. However, annuities can be a great investment vehicle to create some guaranteed income for you and perhaps your spouse for as long as you liv...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2012
    How can i find out what my account balance is?
    It is easy! first, if you are in a 401(k) Plan that has participant directed accounts, your employer is obligated to give you your account information once per quarter. However, if your 401(k) Plan account monies are comingled with all other participants' account monies and are invested by the Trust...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2012
    I am working (age 70.5 12/30/14). Not required to start min req withdrawals (correct?)?
    Hi John,You have some good questions that I think many participants in qualified plans including 401(k) plans can benefit from hearing the answers.Regardless of what kind of qualified plan one may be in, the age 70.5 required distribution rules are the same. That is, if you are over 70.5 and do ...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2014
    How do I obtain a profit sharing/ 401k form as a Whataburger employee?
    First, you need to be "eligible" for the plan and be close to a plan "entry date" before your employer has to give you an enrollment form and a "Summary Plan Description ("SPD")." You can find out if you should be given such form and information about the retirement plan that your employer sponsors ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    How long do it takes to get your profit sharing money?
    What question David is answering is, "After I am entitled to receive my profit sharing money, how long will it take me to get after I ask to receive it." But, I believe there may be much more to your question that his answer doesn't address. If your question is actually, "When am I entitled to take...  (more)
    Answered Dec 2014
    Need address to return form to.
    Dear Samuel T,Most always I am able to empathize with the person asking questions on BrightScope, however, I am shocked to hear your reaction to the fact that your prior employer did not put their return address on their communication to you. I would think that if you have a vested benefit due you...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2016
    I need help in spanish?
    Hi Nestor,If the company you work for set their retirement plan, such as a 401(k) Plan, there are many companies that an employer can choose to work with that supply Employee printed information in Spanish. These Plan investment and record keeping companies also often have Spanish speaking enrolle...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    How do i identify the default option in the plan?
    I assume you are asking to find out where contributions that are being deposited into your plan's account in the case of a plan sponsor (the Employer) having chosen to use "participant self-directed investment accounts" (probably in a 401k plan or another defined contribution plan like a profit shar...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    Can I contribute to two 401k plans?
    Generally, I agree with everything said above, except you should know that sometimes what may seem like a qestion may have a simple answer, the answer to your question is not a simple answer. But here are the two rules to know: (1) you may contribute to as many 401(k) Plans as you like with as many...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    I am no longer employed at pml how do I get money out of account?
    Patricia,I am happy to answer your question regarding how to get your money out of your former employer's retirement plan.Because I do not know what type of plan you have been a participant in, and I do not know anything about the plans provisions regarding distributions to terminated participants...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2013
    Is Thrift Savings Plan different than 401K ?
    Yes they are very different with respect to a participant's tax treatment on their own "Elective Deposit" usually made through payroll withholding.For example, you are probably aware that a participant may elect to fund either type of plan through payroll deductions. However, if the participant is ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    How can I access my ESOP account online? I use to work for Save A Lot until the store was damaged in the April 27, 2011 tornado that came through Alberta City near Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Hi Angela,I am sorry to hear that the Save A Lot store was damaged last April by a Tornado in Alberta City. Although if the tornado destroyed any of the payroll or ESOP records that may have been maintained at the store, the company's reporting to the participants may have been disrupted which unde...  (more)
    Answered Apr 2013
    Is it reasonable to expect that an novice investor like me could turn $5600.00 into $45000.00 within the next 27 years?
    Mathew,I think that it is possible. $45,000 is about 8 times $5,600. That means that if you can double your original investment 3 times over the next 27 years at a rate of doubling your original investment in 9 years, and then doubling the amount that you have after the first 9 years over the next ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    I a currently in a finacial harship...i just got into am accident that i have liability only plus my mrtgage is due.
    Well, you came to the right place. My firm handles 401(k) plan Hardship Distributions all the time.First, if and only if the 401(k) plan allows for hardship distributions, may a participant be eligible to receive one. Second, your need for such distribution must be a need that qualifies for a hard...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2016
    Should I take money out of my 401k to pay my parent's back taxes?
    If this transaction did not involve your mother, and you wanted the simple financial answer, it is, you would be better off financially just simply leaving your 401(k) money in your 401(k) plan instead of withdrawing it ( and then paying taxes on the withdrawal) and then giving the after tax balance...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2016
    Online High Interest Savings Accounts?
    Check out American Express, Ally Bank and EverBank. EverBank may not have the higher rate than the other two, but they do have other alternative bank products that will allow you to put your money into CDs that pay interest but are denominated in other countries currencies. So if you have any thoug...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    Online High Interest Savings Accounts?
    Check out American Express, Ally Bank and EverBank. EverBank may not have the higher rate than the other two, but they do have other alternative bank products that will allow you to put your money into CDs that pay interest but are denominated in other countries currencies. So if you have any thoug...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
    How do I check the status of a 401k if I am a named beneficiary?
    Christopher,Generally, someone needs to notify the HR Department of the company your deceased grandmother worked for to let them know of her death I they have not already been notified by someone in the company that already knew of her demise. But in addition you may want to provide the HR departme...  (more)
    Answered May 2015
    How do I see my statements on line?
    I am assuming that your question pertains to your quarterly statements that have or will be issued to you by a 401(k) plan and/or another type of defined contribution plan that has a participant self directed investment feature. On the other hand, if one is a participant in any type of defined contr...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2013
    I would like to withdraw some of the money to pay a medical bill is it possible to do this?
    Hi Tanya,If you are a participant in your employer's Qualified Retirement Plan (such as a 401(k) plan), and if such plan allows "Hardship Withdrawals" then you may be able to receive what is called a Hardship Distribution from the plan. The reason I say "may" is because the plan document must state...  (more)
    Answered May 2017
    I have been a full-time employee for three years and I want to know if I can I get a loan from my 401 k?
    To determine if you can get a plan loan from your 401(k) plan, you may do the following:When you entered the plan you should have been given a Summary Plan Description ("SPD") from your employer or the financial institution that holds the 401(k) monies for all participants. The SPD should tell you...  (more)
    Answered Dec 2018
    How can I find 401K info for previous employment that is no longer in business?
    It is a difficult matter to find information regarding a plan that was sponsored by a company that is no longer in business. However, if you did have a balance of more than $5000 when the plan terminated and they were not able to find you when they were to distribute all participant monies from the ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2017
    I worked for Erie family health center but I no longer work for the company how do I transfer my 401k ?
    This should be a fairly easy process to have your 401(k) plan account balance transferred to either an IRA account, or to another Qualified Plan account, that has been setup for you.There are two primary things you should do so that the transfer is done smoothly. They are:1. Ask the Plan Administ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2017
    Spouse medical bills have led to high cc debt. Is a loan from 401 or 403b possible ?
    It is legally permissible for both 401(k) plans and 403(b) plans to offer participant loans for any need that a participant may have - however there is no legal requirement that such plans must have a loan feature. In addition, if a plan does make participant loans available, different plans may ha...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2016
    How do i withdrawal my money?
    Although you have supplied no pertinent information that would be necessary to answer your question accurately, I can at least give you an answer that may be helpful if you want to withdraw your money from a qualified retirement plan.First, ask your Employer for a copy of the plan's Summary Plan De...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2017
    How to find an old 401 k account?
    Rodney,Another place one may look for old retirement money, especially if the money was in a plan sponsored by a company that long ago got sold or went out of business, and if the money was in a plan that was terminated and already liquidated, is to contact your State Government offices by either c...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2017
    Is there any way that i can cash in my 401k plan due to a hardship and also is there any way that i can talk to an agen?
    A hardship withdrawal feature is common in 401(k) plans. However, for a participant to qualify for being able to make a hardship withdrawal, two things are necessary. They are: (1) Your 401(k) plan must contain a hardship withdrawal feature, and (2) you need for money must qualify as a hardship und...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2017
    How soon does my employer have to deposit my contributions deducted from my pay into my 401(k) account?
    The Department of Labor (DOL) has said in Regulations that they want 401(k) deposits of employees' money to be deposited within 7 business days following the payroll deduction. Their commentary is that the deposit should be made at the same time as other payroll withholding payments are made because...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2016
    How do I draw my money out?
    If I may assume you are asking from the standpoint of being in a 401(k) plan and you want to know "How to draw your money that is in the plan out to do something else with it.First if the 401(k) plan you participate in allows it, there are a number of different ways one can get their or their empl...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2015
    I have a profit sharing plan with a former employer. How do I get the money from the profit sharing?
    I have answered many questions on BrightScope, but I think you will find my answer very simple to follow.Simply call your ex-employer and ask to speak to the Benefit's Administrator, Accounting Department, or Profit Sharing Plan Administrator. If the receptionist doesn't know what you are talking a...  (more)
    Answered Jun 2017
    How do i get a loan to buy a home if i cannot get a conventioal loan?
    I'm not sure anyone really answered your specific question - so I will.If your 401(k) plan has Hardship Withdrawal provisions, the need for money to buy a principal residence does qualify as a reason for a participant to be granted a hardship distribution. However, you should know that the law says...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2016
      *Answers are submitted by advisors without compensation.

      Licenses & Conducts

      U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
      • license status
      • disclosures
      • as of date
        Nov 20, 2018
      • license status
        Not registered
      • disclosures
      • as of date
        Sep 7, 2018
      Review the status and details of the disclosures noted above using the SEC's Investment Advisor Public Disclosure website:



      Last updated on Nov. 21, 2018
        • $216.0M
          Total Assets Under Management
        • $0
          Total Assets Under Advisement
        • 85
          number of clients
        • $2.5M
          Estimated Average Account Balance Per Client

      Glass Retirement Strategies, Inc.

      Last updated on March 29, 2019
        • $23.8M
          Total Assets Under Management
        • N/A
          Total Assets Under Advisement
        • 15
        • $1.6M
          Estimated Average Account Balance


      Types of Compensation Arrangements