Back to top

Helen Barbre Stephens CFP®, EA

Fee-Only Financial Planning & Wealth Management Services

Aspen Wealth Management

Fort Worth


Contact Me



Advisor Services

  • Financial Planning
    • -Comprehensive Financial Planning
    • -Retirement Planning
    • -Other Financial Planning
    • -Tax Planning
  • Portfolio Management
    • -Individuals and/or Small Businesses
  • Accounting & Tax
    • -Tax Advice
    • -Other Tax


Funds Used With Clients

There are no funds listed for this advisor at this time.

Firm Client types



No timeline events available.
Employer Years Dates
Td Ameritrade, Inc. 2 years, 4 months Dec 2017 - Present
Cetera Advisors LLC 10 months Jan 2013 - Nov 2013
Multi-Financial Securities Corporation 10 months Feb 2012 - Dec 2012
Pacific West Securities Inc. 4 months Oct 2011 - Feb 2012
HELEN STEPHENS GROUP, LLC d/b/a ASPEN WEALTH MANAGEMENT 8 years, 11 months May 2011 - Present
HELEN STEPHENS GROUP, LLC d/b/a ASPEN WEALTH MANAGEMENT 8 years, 11 months May 2011 - Present
Dewaay Advisory 1 year, 5 months May 2010 - Oct 2011
Dewaay Financial Network 1 year, 5 months May 2010 - Oct 2011
H.D. Vest Advisory Services 1 year, 9 months Aug 2008 - May 2010
Karsten Financial 3 years, 2 months Jul 2008 - Sep 2011
H.D. Vest Investment Services 1 year, 11 months Jun 2008 - May 2010

Designations & Memberships

  • Financial Planning Association
    Financial Planning Association
    The Financial Planning Association (FPA®) is the largest membership organization for personal financial planning experts in the U.S. and includes professionals from all backgrounds and business models. We help connect thousands of consumers to competent and ethical planners who uphold the FPA Standard of Care.
  • National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
    National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
    NAPFA, the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors, is the nation’s leading organization dedicated to the advancement of Fee-Only comprehensive financial planning. Consumers and the media look to NAPFA for access to financial advisors who meet the highest standards for professional competency, comprehensive financial planning and Fee-Only compensation.
  • Certified Financial Planner
    Certified Financial Planner
    A standard certification for advisors, designees are exposed to nearly 100 topics on integrated financial planning. Major topics include, but not limited to: insurance, employee benefits, securities, state and federal tax, estate tax and planning, asset protection, etc.
  • Enrolled Agent
    Enrolled Agent
    An Enrolled Agent is a federally-authorized tax practitioner who has technical expertise in the field of taxation and is empowered by the Department of the Treasury to represent taxpayers.

Articles and Answers

Insights by Helen Stephens

Financial Planning One Step at a Time
Published 2015-03-15 11:09:54
Save for Retirement or Pay Down Debt?
Published 2014-03-13 14:03:45
Getting Close to Retirement? Now What?
Published 2014-11-11 07:21:37
The Head and the Heart
Published 2014-10-17 07:56:00
Why is a financial plan important?
Published 2014-10-08 14:06:54
What are Trusts and Why Would You Create One?
Published 2014-08-11 13:56:06
The Annual Social Security Trustee Report
Published 2014-08-11 13:56:37
Taking 529 Plan Distributions
Published 2014-05-13 09:20:33
The Government Shutdown Explained
Published 2013-10-08 14:11:06
4 Retirement Saving Myths
Published 2013-09-23 08:55:24
New Federal Student Loan Rates
Published 2013-08-29 11:52:50
Deciding When to Retire
Published 2013-08-20 07:35:41
Social Security Planning
Published 2013-08-06 14:52:05
Women's Unique Money Challenges
Published 2013-05-23 09:11:40
How Retirement is Changing
Published 2013-03-22 11:29:16
Long Term Care Limbo
Published 2013-03-18 09:35:59
Long Term Care Considerations
Published 2012-10-22 08:17:05
Retirement Planning for Every Age
Published 2012-09-16 19:51:31
Retirement Planning Pitfalls to Avoid
Published 2012-10-12 08:32:24
5 Tips for Creating a Solid Retirement Plan
Published 2013-01-14 06:45:27
Considerations When Choosing Your Executor
Published 2012-09-26 13:23:48
Emergency Funds are like Spare Tires
Published 2012-08-31 07:57:16
Estate Planning Tune Up
Published 2012-08-27 06:54:47
4 Steps to Improve Retirement Income
Published 2012-08-22 10:58:54
    *Articles are published by advisors without compensation.


    Ask a financial questionAsk a question
    What should I be doing now to prepare for my children's college expenses?
    Hi Wesley,You are smart to think about saving now, while your children are young. A great resource is, which outlines the 529 plan options for both Oklahoma as well as other states. If you are an Oklahoma resident, you may be interested to learn that there is a state tax ...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2012
    Should I continue contributing to my 401k plan that receives no match from my employer?
    Hi Andrew. This question is not a simple one to answer because there are other factors that will guide the answer to your question. If you qualify for Roth IRA accounts, you both could contribute the post-tax dollars to maximize your Roth IRA accounts and get the tax deferred growth. By contribut...  (more)
    Answered Mar 2014
    Withdrawing money from my CD?
    Yes it is. At tax time, you will receive a 1099 in the mail. On the 2011 Form 1040, the amount was entered on line 30....  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    I have 2 401k plans from previous employers. Should I combine them with an existing rollover IRA or into my new TSP with my new position as a federal employee? Or should I combine all 3 into my TSP to have only 1 retirement account?
    Angela, this is a great question. I generally recommend that individuals roll prior plans into an IRA account. My rationale is that by doing so, individuals generally have greater investment options than what is available through most 401(k) plans....  (more)
    Answered Oct 2012
    What type of advisor would you recommend that has older clients and has experience in eldercare and financial planning. We are not eligible for Long Term Care Insurance and want to maximize income so we do not run out of money before death.?
    I would recommend that you find a CFP® professional that can look at your needs holistically and make recommendations. You can find a CFP® professional through their website, or through the Financial Planning Association website, Through those resources, you can find a ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    I received half of my ex-husbands 401k. How long, after the qrdo is signed, does it usually take to get this?
    Hi Rebecca,You can work with an advisor to open an IRA to receive your portion of the 401k. Once the decree is signed, you can work with the human resources department to receive your portion. I'm not sure of your age, but if you are younger than 59 1/2, I strongly advise you not to "cash out" an...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2012
    82 years old surrendering a traditional IRA, can he defer/spread tax burden?
    Brandon,It sounds as if your friend is working on some medicaid planning with an elder law specialist? To answer your question, the taxes will be due the year the IRA funds are received. If it is a traditional IRA, it leads me to believe that your friend contributed to this IRA over time. If any...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2012
    My son worked for COMPUSA at the time of his death 5-12-00. Unknown to us at the time he was involved in their 401k program. A nephew of ours just brought it to our attention now almost 13 years later. We saved our son's things and found an old pay slip from 2 months before his death and he was inde
    The Edgar filing online: reflects that in the late 90's, Merrill Lynch Group Employee Services handled the plan. You may want to try to reach out to them to see ...  (more)
    Answered Mar 2013
    My Mother is 64 and my Father is 69. He gets SS benefits, however my mother did not work enough to get any. Just found out that she could have applied for spousal benefits when she turned 62. Can she apply now and get 2 yrs of back pay from 62 to now?
    While your mom can't go back the two years to collect, her benefit will be larger at age 64 than it would have been at age 62. It will continue to increase until her full retirement age of 66. I hope that is helpful to you.Helen...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2012
    I have a roll over IRA from my employer.
    Hi Stephen,Yes, you can add funds to your rollover IRA, just make certain you file a Form 8606 with your tax return showing the after-tax contributions you've made (I'm making an assumption about your ability to deduct your contribution). No, you cannot take money out and put it back at any time. ...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2014
    Can I deduct the mileage traveling to and from my rental property?
    The technical answer is yes, you can deduct the mileage to travel to and from your rental property if you are going to collect rent or to "conserve, maintain or manage" the property. You need to keep a log with the date and miles travelled as well as the purpose. This is a tough sell if you are pa...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2012
    I will be 32 years old this year. Starting my first full time job and would like to plan for retirement.
    Hi Amani,Since you will have your own business, you have a tremendous opportunity as your can defer a good amount of money annually. I would suggest that you find a CFP(R) professional in your area who can help you build a solid retirement plan. Depending on your situation, your planner can help ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2014
    I have been employed at wal-mart for 30 years and have around 500k in retirement and wish to retire at 62. Can I pull out my retirement and reinvest at 59 1/2 to to bring in additional income before age 62 without leaving the company.?
    Most employer plans prohibit participants from withdrawing funds prior to separation from service. Your term "reinvest" is puzzling, as I'm certain your retirement plan has investment options, so theoretically, your funds are being reinvested while in the plan. I would suggest finding a CFP(R) pro...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2012
    What target date funds would you recommend for someone who is in their 30s but is still focused on a low-risk portfolio?
    While I cannot make specific investment recommendations because of compliance, I can suggest that you refer to or for educational information regarding target date funds. Both fund companies tend to have lower expenses than most. The closer the retirement date, in theor...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    How do i check the balance, if any, of my 401k?
    Hi Maria,The human resources department at your current or former company should be able to give you contact information for your 401(k) provider.Good luck!Helen...  (more)
    Answered Sep 2012
    I need to find out and get information on how much money I have in my 401k?
    Lyndsey, you can call the human resources of department of your employer or former employer. They can get you in touch with the 401(k) provider....  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    I have a former employer offering a Lump-sum non-taxed amount of about $7200.00 coming from a previous employer. Is there anyway to rollover this money into a Roth IRA?
    Since 2008, individuals have had the ability to roll their 401(k) plans directly into Roth IRAs, and since 2010 the income limits disappeared. There are still some state government plans that may make this direct transfer difficult, so you may want to call your plan administrator (the phone number ...  (more)
    Answered Jul 2012
    Do the distributions from a 529 plan need to be taken the same year as expenses?
    Steve is correct in that withdrawals need to be equal or less than the qualified higher education expenses, and you need to coordinate the amount with any tax benefits you may receive. I advise clients to take the 529 distribution in the same calendar year as the expenses are paid. You will receiv...  (more)
    Answered Aug 2012
    My inherited IRA hasn't done squat this year. Is there a better choice of where to invest this money?
    Because of regulatory constraints, I am not allowed to give specific investment advice in this forum. With that said, like David, I would suggest that you search on or to find a CFP(R) professional in your area. Take the time to interview two or three in order to find th...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2012
    I believe I signed up for 401k back in 1999 or 2000. How can I find out.? I have just forgotten all about this.?
    Kristen,If you had a 401(k) plan through your employer, you can get in touch with the employee benefits department within human resources. They should be able to help you. Good luck!Helen...  (more)
    Answered Nov 2012
    I need to get access to my 401k account and need help. I work for Northeast Rehab Hosp?
    Hi Linda,If you don't have a recent statement from your 401(k) plan, contact your human resources office. They should be able to give you the phone number of your plan trustee. From there, you can call and get the information you need. Good luck!...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2013
    For the last few years when we do our taxes AMT gets triggered. Been to several accountants and they all say that there isn't much we can do to lessen the impact. We heard that a tax advisor or an enrolled agent might be more knowledgeable. Suggestions?
    The AMT is not an easy calculation for anyone to understand. There are several items that may be triggering your AMT problem, most often are stock options, municipal bond income and miscellaneous deductions that exceed 2% of your AGI (taken on your schedule A). Any good, qualified tax professional...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2013
    Cost Basis for Shares/Funds with a Front Load?
    Hi Colin,Your cost basis would be the $25,000.The 5% is divided between the advisor and the fund company. Details can be found in the fund's prospectus. Your advisor should also be able to give you that information if you ask.While compliance prohibits me from giving direct investment advice as...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2014
    I had a 401k several years ago with Jitney Jungle who now does not exist. Does the 401k still exist?
    Winn-Dixie was sold to Bi-Lo (BiLo Holdings, LLC). Perhaps they could help? Sounds like a very frustrating situation....  (more)
    Answered Jan 2015
    When my restricted stock vests, how will it be taxed?
    Alan is correct. There is no income reported for restricted stock until the year in which the stock vests. At that time, ordinary income is recognized on the fair market value. Later, when you sell your stock, a capital gain (or loss) is recognized. ...  (more)
    Answered May 2013
      *Answers are submitted by advisors without compensation.

      Licenses & Conducts

      U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
      • license status
      • disclosures
      • as of date
        Jan 11, 2020
      • license status
        Not registered
      • disclosures
      • as of date
        Sep 15, 2019
      Review the status and details of the disclosures noted above using the SEC's Investment Advisor Public Disclosure website:


      Aspen Wealth Management

      Last updated on Nov. 22, 2019
        • $107.3M
          Total Assets Under Management
        • N/A
          Total Assets Under Advisement
        • 178
        • $602.7K
          Estimated Average Account Balance


      Types of Compensation Arrangements

      • Percentage Of Assets
      • Hourly Charges
      • Fixed Fees