Back to top

James Thomas Hancock

SmartVestor Pro through the Dave Ramsey Program

Educators Financial Assurance



Contact Me



Advisor Services

  • Insurance
    • -Life Insurance
    • -Health Insurance
    • -Annuities
  • Portfolio Management
    • -Individuals and/or Small Businesses


Firm Client types



No timeline events available.
Employer Years Dates
Preferred Retirement Options Inc. 3 months Jan 2020 - Present
East Idaho Flag Football League LLC 4 years, 7 months Sep 2015 - Present
Self-Employed Life/Health Insurance 5 years, 5 months Nov 2014 - Present
Preferred Retirement Options 7 years, 4 months Sep 2012 - Jan 2020
Opinionology 2 years, 4 months May 2010 - Sep 2012
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 2 years, 1 month Mar 2008 - Apr 2010

Designations & Memberships

Membership information not available

Articles and Answers

Insights by James Hancock

Buy Apple Stock, or Diversify?
Published 2017-10-03 10:45:23
How I Beat Vanguard Index Funds
Published 2017-06-06 09:38:06
How to Become a Millionaire on a $30k Salary
Published 2017-02-21 13:29:47
3rd Quarter Returns: I told you so
Published 2016-10-12 12:59:56
Don't Sell International Stocks, Here's Why
Published 2016-07-21 13:57:47
    *Articles are published by advisors without compensation.


    Ask a financial questionAsk a question
    I want to cash out. My health is failing, not eorking need my money plz.
    Ok, I am guessing you have a 401k through work? If it is a work plan you need to contact the business manager at your place of former employment. If it is separate from work you need to contact whoever set up your account initially. ...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2017
    I left Trans World Entertainment in 2008 but didn't cash in my retirement plan. How can I find out what it is worth?
    You just have to call your former employer and get information from them as to where the money is held, and who to call to get access to it. ...  (more)
    Answered May 2018
    Conversion from IRA to Roth IRA?
    You can convert that money into a Roth IRA, but you will have to pay tax on any growth that has occurred since then. I would suggest doing that as soon as possible. I can halp you with the Roth and conversion for no cost. Let me know. ...  (more)
    Answered Jan 2017
    Is there any way that i can talk to a live agent?
    Not sure what you mean, but if you are in need of financial, investing, or insurance help, feel free to give me a call anytime. ...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2017
    How can I not have the mother of my grand kids touch the money of my deceased daughter settlement money? Not married.
    You can definitely set up a trust to fulfill those purposes. I help people to set up trust accounts and specialize int the investing part of the account. Contact me anytime....  (more)
    Answered Feb 2017
    How do i get my money from a factory i havent worked for in 5 years?
    You need to contact the factory directly. If you want to roll any of the money over to avoid taxes, let me know and I can help you with that. ...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2017
    How to retirement Plans handle Fund minimum requirements?
    Not sure exactly what you mean, but our mutual funds that we use with our clients have no minimums, which is hard to come by. Let me know if you are interested. ...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2017
    Have a annuity don't want to wait for once a year. How can I cash it out without losing half of the money?
    The longer you wait, the less the surrender penalty will be. Usually annuities have between 3 and 10 year surrender periods from the time you start that decreases each year. Most of the time you can take up to 10% out each year with no penalty. ...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2017
    What option would be right for me?
    You can get a much higher long term return by investing in small and value stocks. I work with a fund company Matson Money that has extremely diversified funds that take advantage of getting bigger returns from small and value, but keeping the risk low with diversification. It is perfect for the ...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2016
    While rolling over my 457 plan into a Roth IRA, do I have to pay the taxes out of pocket, or is the account taxed?
    When converting any pretax account such as your 457 into a post tax account such as the Roth IRA, you can have the taxes withheld on the transfer. You get to choose the amount that you have withheld, based on whatever % tax bracket you think you will be in. If you need help with this, I have help...  (more)
    Answered Feb 2018
    How do I find out if I have 401k or 403b plans from pervious employers that I've never used or rolled over?
    Just call the company you worked for and ask for the business or HR manager and they should know. ...  (more)
    Answered Oct 2017
      *Answers are submitted by advisors without compensation.

      Licenses & Conducts

      U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
      • license status
      • disclosures
      • as of date
        Jan 3, 2020
      • license status
        Not registered
      • disclosures
      • as of date
      Review the status and details of the disclosures noted above using the SEC's Investment Advisor Public Disclosure website:



      Last updated on March 26, 2020
        • $1.5M
          Total Assets Under Management
        • $0
          Total Assets Under Advisement
        • 45
          number of clients
        • $33.3K
          Estimated Average Account Balance Per Client

      Educators Financial Assurance

      Last updated on Jan. 10, 2020
        • N/A
          Total Assets Under Management
        • N/A
          Total Assets Under Advisement
        • N/A
        • N/A
          Estimated Average Account Balance


      Fee Only Advisor
      This advisor has certified that they are compensated soley by their clients, and do not accept commisions or compensation of any kind based on the products they recommend.

      Types of Compensation Arrangements